Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently put in NGK platinums, and gapped them at factory specs at .045 (92 TT). I know alot of people gap the plugs at .034. Is this only if you have more boost? Would it be ok to gap the plugs at .034 with stock boost? Or what would be the best gap to use while I have stock turbos with stock boost? Also, I plan on advancing the timing to 7 degrees, but the technician at the dealership said that's what it should be at anyway since I live in Denver (Mile High), but factory specs are 5 degrees. Would I be able to advance it a little more without any problems since 7 degrees is basically stock in this high altitude?

Jason
92 Stealth R/T TT

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
0.034 is ok for boost up in the 15psi region. For higher boost you should go down to 0.028.

No, do not advance the timing more because this will increase the danger for preignition.

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
What are the advantages/disadvantages of regapping @ .034, if you're running stock boost.? Then why is factory specs., .045?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I have stock boost and am gapped at .032-.034. Runs great, low end is the same, but shorter gap really helps with the high end power. I imagine the sparker is just more intense to suit the greater intake charge at high rpms.

·
Ex-VPC Headbanger
1,950 Posts
At higher boost, the density of air in the chamber is greater. The resistivity of air is a function of density. The ignition system can't create enough power to jump the 0.045" gap efficiently at those resistance levels. Shorten the gap, and the amount of power it takes to jump the gap decreases.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Aren't you going to need the high spark for high revs with higher boost too.
Why do you need to change the spark plug gap?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts