Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
92/99 3000GT VR-4
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually I change my oil filter every time I change my oil but I've been reading that it's a good idea to change the filter everyother oil change. So this saturday Im not going to change the oil filter when I do my oil change but I was wondering if I have to remove the oil filter to drain the old oil or should I just leave it in there and just use the drain plug to drain the oil.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Your sig pics dont show up.

As far as changing the Oil Filter, last time I changed my oil I didnt change the filter. Nor did I unscrew it to let it drain. I just drained the oil, then added the 4qts I needed.

-jeff

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
You just leave it screwed on. You'll only need 4 quarts of oil this time.

Jspec---A slightly dirty oil filter is better at filtering the smallest particles from oil, so you'e supposed to change the filter every other time. Read your owner's manual. Why would the dealership tell you to only change it every other time, when they're losing a chance to make some more money off of you?

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
The idea behind changing the filter every other time is that 2500 to 3000 miles isn't really all that long and the filter traps the larger particles first, clogging up the larger pores in the filter. Smaller particles just go right through. If you change the filter each time, you never really get the smaller particles as the filter allows them to pass. By not changing it each time, with the filter already clogged with the larger particles, the oil is forced through the smaller pores and the small particles are then trapped. Did that make sense??

Anyway, I do dump out the old oil in the filter and just reinstall it. I also use a quart of Rislone each time that I don't change the filter.

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
Yes....I change mine EVERY change. You don't HAVE to...but it is better for your engine. Unlike the K&N which actually filters a little better once it gets some debris in the fibers....oil filters need no such debris to filter effectively and in fact any amount of debris impedes oil circulation. The amount of debris accumulated in an oil filter at 3000 miles is negligible in an engine that is "broken in" so it really isn't necessary to change it every 3K miles....you can do it every 6 without any problems and save 3 bucks in the process. While changing every oil change may not offer any significant benefit.....it also does not cause any harm and allows you to drain that extra 3/4 quart of used oil. I don't mind spending the extra $2.89. As for your question...no, you do not need to remove the filter to just drain the oil.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'm with wrath on this one... You don't have to, I've seen filters that haven't been changed in 15K miles before... But for 3 bucks it's worth the pease of mind to me.

·
Native
3,894 Posts
When I worked changing oil this summer we changed the filter on ever car. The cost was added in and is just a part of a regular oil change. 9 out of 10 places will change your oil filter when they change your oil. I do it. It's just a prudent thing to do I suppose

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I keep hearing this "a dirty oil filter is better than a clean one" argument, and something just doens't seem logical about it, but I can't nail it down.

Let's play Socrates here, and get to the truth in Twenty Questions.

Hypothesis - the mesh in a new filter has big holes, therefore the big particles are trapped by a new filter, but the small particles aren't. This is Bad.

Deduction - if all of the mesh holes get blocked by big particles, then the filter is now nothing more than a bunch of small mesh holes.

Question - once this happens, why does not any futher inundation of big particles simply block up these smaller mesh holes, thus completely stopping the flow of oil?

Hypothesis - a dirty filter has all the big mesh holes plugged up, so now it can trap the smaller particles in the now-smaller mech holes. This is Good.

Deduction - if all of the now-smaller mesh holes get blocked by small particles, then the filter is completely clogged.

Question - why is it good if the filter is completely blocked?

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
Its been tested somewhere that a slightly dirty filter will filter smaller particles. Thier was a big debate in our automotive class about this, so everyone did research and found the same results. A dirty filter is better for your engine, the smae goes for an air cleaner (to an extent) and even a house duster....So i change mine every other oil change...
-Jess

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
So why don't they just make the filters with a tighter mesh in the first place?

(I'm guessing it's because the mesh would clog up even faster with the big particles).

Is it possible that particles small enough to escape the filter are also small enough to be contained entirely within the oil film and not come in contact with either of the two facing metal surfaces being lubricated?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts