Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever successfully installed a Quaife ATB into a 2nd generation 3000GT FWD? I know it's been discussed before but I never heard of any results. I'd like to install one into my 1994 3KGT but am waiting for someone else to be the "guinea pig" :)The unit made for the Eclipse Turbo FWD is supposed to fit the 2nd generation 3KGT's (so I'm told). I was also told this unit would fit the 1st generation 3KGT's by using the larger axles from a 2nd generation car. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

·
I'm HISPANIC dammit!
1,783 Posts
'Cause NC sucks. :p

·
og
4,293 Posts
i like the way that sounds "a couple". why do i have the feeling that i'm gonna be first tho? ;)

- mike

·
Registered
211 Posts
is there any way Hans that you could stike a deal for a group buy on the Diff's. Iknow a few of us N/A's would jump all over that

Laterz,
Brian

Oh your check is going in the mail today for the S-AFC

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'd be in!

I'm sick of the torque steer, and if/when I mod my SL, it'll only get worse. Ohio weather is very condusive to this ...

My only concern si that this is a "torque biasing" diff instead of a true LSD. I've read where there are disadvantages to them over true LSDs. Can someone put some meat on (or against) that arguement? Is there a true LSD for 1st gens?

Thanks -- G

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
This mod is very expensive and the labor alone looks like it may be as much as the part itself. Hans, what's the labor costs?

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
For 1st gens you need to get the axle shafts from a 93+ model (probably 150-250 from a junk yard). The unit itself retails for $950. Doing a group buy on such an expensive item might be a little difficult, but I'll ask about it.

Labor for the install is around 500-600 unless you pull the trans yourself and had it to someone to change the diff. The diff install alone is between 100-200.

I believe the board user Juko has the quaife LSD installed. I can't see any negative effects. Our stock diff gives power to the wheel with least resistance. Anything has got to be better then that.

Mike, I have a feeling it's either going to be me or Ty that will be first :).

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
That's right, I have one installed on my 1994 3000gt 5 speed. I can safely say that this modification makes a night and day difference in the way the car handles. It is still possible to spin the tires, but they both spin and hook-up real quick. Torque steer is almost non-existent. But, I believe that is due to the unequal drive shaft lengths. (Not 100% sure about that fact though).

I also have not detected any wheel hop. I want to install some new hard engine mounts next year to see if more traction can be gained. If you really want to add more power to your car, this modification is a must. Or, if you want a safer car to drive, get one.

I am 100% happy that I spent the money (which is a lot) to have one installed. I would expect to pay between $500 and $1000 to have one installed by a transmission shop. I think it really depends on where you live. Half of the shops I called would not even do it and the other half required my first-born child or $1000. ;)

Something else to consider is to upgrade your suspension components in addition to installing this differential. Worn out or weak components will also cause a loss of traction.

Cheers,
J

·
Registered
117 Posts
GROUP BUY!!!!!!!!!! Lets do it up.:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I would be a definte member of the GB. However, I dont think I am gonna be waiting to long to get mines installed.

Mike, you can forget it dude. I will be installing my LSD as soon as Hans can get it and book me a weekend to install it. Hopefully I will have it installed by the gathering. I really need this LSD, bacause as many of us know, traction is gonna be a killer for me. But never let them see you sweat, Hans is on the case. :D :p

later guys,
Ty

PS. The super ES is FIXED. HANS IS THE MAN. WOOOOOHOOOOO, look out world here he comes, ut oh, damn it, there he goes. Damn that car is fast as hell, hehehehe :cool:

Later guys

·
Registered
18,548 Posts
well i wouldnt have a problem installing it. just need the money to buy it. i remember going over this but i forgot if any diffs were found to fit the first gen TT models?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hey Ty. It's fixed???? And Han's fixed it??????? Wow, I am impressed :D So what was the problem anyway?

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Hey Shawn, yep, Hans fixed it. he is the MAN!!!!!!! I am not positive about all the details, but i think he said it was a fuel pump relay. Also, he said that the fuel pump wasn't pushing the right voltage, so he kinda hotwired it. I know that he noticed that the car would idle in reverse, so that gave him the oppurtunity to check some things since it was running. Well, he noticed that it was running lean, so he knew it was a fuel deliver probelm. I'm not sure of all the specifics, but I know he figured it out and fixed it. I am picking it up sat. :D

Later,
Ty

·
Quickest FWD 3000GT
158 Posts
The Quaife installed in my TT SL. I'm in the process of breaking in my car. I'll keep you guys updated after Nov 11th race.

JB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts