Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like a fish licence please, for my pet fish "Eric". 'e is an 'alibut.

It's 20 degrees F, the inside of my car is cold, and I turn on the stereo. Is having a pile of noise blasted through cold speakers going to damage the cones at all?

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Well a "pile of noise blasted thru the speakers" could damage them at any volume!

When things are that cold, I'd recommend letting the car warm up before turning up the stereo too much. Especially if you have aftermarket speakers, in particular subwoofers. Tweeters and mid range speakers shouldn't see any real problems unless you try to have a concert with it still being 20 degrees. The rubber/foam surrounds won't be as pliable until they have warmed up a little. Subs, definitely don't push them until they have a chance to warm up and flex a little. This is because they move a whole lot farther than does a mid or tweet. Most mid range speakers might have a 1/4 - 1/2 inch of motion, and that's at high volumes. Tweets, well, at around 6000 vibrations per second, you ain't even gonna see them move. But many speakers contain fluid in them to help with the cooling processs once they are warmed up. Subs, since they move so much more than other speakers, I'd personally let things warm up a few minutes before really cranking things. Run the system at a medium/low volume while the car is warming up and you should be ok within a few minutes. Again, the mids/tweets won't really be a problem, but the subs might if you push them too hard when it's way cold.

When I stored my stealth in NH, I'd always run the stereo during the times I started the car and let it run for an hour or so (every week or two to get fluids flowing and such). It helps keep the surrounds (piece that holds the cone to the metal frame basket) from losing their flexibility.

EricB
Still running all the same speakers as the original install, except the ones in the dash... But that was a crossover problem - too low hz hurts!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts