Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like I'm topping up the 6 cells in my Stealth battery about every four months or so, which strikes me as rather frequent.

I used to top up my truck's battery maybe once a year, and ditto for the Harley battery (although the Harley battery sits inside the oil tank, so it gets way hotter than the battery in a normal car would).

How often does everybody else need to top up their batteries?

Also - this battery does not appear to have a vent hose. So what's it doing with all the gas it's generating???

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Well here's my experience....According to Interstate battery co. you are supposed to check the fluid level at every oil change. (bullshit in my opinion) And as far as venting, most of the batteries I have seen have had a vent built into the covers where you refill the fluid.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>(bullshit in my opinion)

I almost learned the hard way.

One find summer's day, 300 miles from home, I go to start the bike (back when I still had electric start), and it was groaning like a pregnant pig, just barely turning over. I checked the battery, and found that every cell was about half-full (or, more importantly, half-empty). Luckily, I didn't have to ride too far to find some distilled water.

Lesson 1 - check your battery fluid level more than once a year.

Lesson 2 - Harleys without kick-starters are called "paperweights".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts