Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone else out there ever experienced the same problem. Basically, when at WOT in 3rd and higher gears, I get this "pulsing" feeling of acceleration. The car will go forward in pulses, like a heart beat or something. I gapped down my spark plugs to .034" last week hoping that would fix it but it didn't. I'm probably going to get my car dyno'd in a few weeks once year-end is over but would still like to try and find out what is causing this before I go in. I've got the boost set at about 14 PSI and it never did this before I got my APEXI AVC-R II boost controller. It seems to run fine in 1st and 2nd @ WOT, but when I get into higher gears, I can definitely detect the weird on and off pulling feeling. I'm thinking it's either got to be the fuel system or maybe a bad cylinder, however I'm leaning towards the fuel. Thanks to anyone who might be able to help me with this!!

Matt

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
I have two Stealths TT and one does it in 2nd gear and nothing with the other. I am thinking transmision. It seemed a little better after changing fluids.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My car sometimes does it also. I believe that is due to my carier bearings being worn. I just have not had a chance to replace them yet. It also causes a clunking sound when it is shifted to hard.
Jeremy
94 RT/TT

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Hi Matt, this is probably light detonation, and the timing is being pulled out by the ECU.. This is a little unusual with your plugs being at 0.34", but have you checked the timing belt to make sure it is not even "slightly" off??

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
Mine did it before and after having the timing belt changed.

[This message has been edited by Paul H. (edited January 06, 2000).]

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to the replies so far. To Brien, no, I haven't checked the timing belt at all. I got my car with 19k on it so I don't *think* the timing belt would have already been changed unless something happened. I must admit that it has gotten a little better after gapping the plugs down, but it still does it a little bit. If this is light detonation, what would be the best thing? I suppose to finally shell out for an ARC-2 and fuel pump maybe? If the timing is off, will this show up on the dyno/datalogger? Thanks.

Matt

HKS BOV
Apexi AVC-R @ .95 kg/cm2
Magnecor wires
NGK Platinum's @ .034"
Extreme Motorsports Intake

[This message has been edited by Matt 97 VR-4 (edited January 06, 2000).]

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I have a '91 R/T and mine does it when I try to get on it before the engine has fully warmed up, after that it is fine.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I used to get that when I richened the AFC2 and was running 16psi...but no problem now cuz it was too much fuel...all I did was lean it out a bit..BTW, I am running 440cc and walbro pump

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Matt, before spending $$, please get the belt checked, even though it only has 19K, it still is possible..Then if the belt checks out, then it's time for upgrades to the fuel side..

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian,

Can't I just take off the upper timing belt covers to see if the belt lines up with the timing marks? Or do I actually have to take it somewhere to get it checked while the engine's running?

Next week I've got an appointment with HB Mitsubishi and they are going to install a new rear diff. seal. Maybe I'll complain to them about the pulsating acceleration to see if they will test the timing for free. BTW, it's making a lot of noise back there now, I can really hear it every time I take off. I think they're going to end up giving me a whole new tranny and or driveshaft once the tech drives it and hears it for himself. I couldn't believe how loud it was tonight!

In addition, they put Synchroshift in the transaxle case since it was leaking up there too. So far it has stopped the leak, but for how long???

On a side note, they damaged my driver-side side skirt when they lifted the car up and are going to replace that as well. Gee, do you think they'll give me a new engine too if detonation has damaged it too bad after my dyno? From the looks of it I might have a late Christmas / early b-day :) We'll see. Thanks again for your advice.

Matt

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Hi Matt, no problem, I am happy to help!! Yes you can check it by taking off the timing covers, but it is really tricky to get them back on and the rubber gasket back into place. Just complain and complain as I have told you, and I think you will get what you want!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts