Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just installed 3 Prosport electronic peak/warn 60 mm gauges in my car. Boost and oil pressure work just fine, but my water temp gauge is barely reading over 100 degrees (seen it move up to as high as 110) but hardly any movement on it at all. We have checked the wiring and everything seems in order. The gauge itself seems fine. I was wondering if there has ever been any problems with the sensor itself not working (just a faulty part). Thats about the only thing left that could be wrong...?

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
I have always installed it in the stock OEM location either replacing the stock sensor directly or when the 1/8 bsp did not work on the 1/8 npt using a ferrel adaptor with a 1/8 npt thread that tappered at the end and carefully starting it in with minimum force. They have never leaked and proven to be right on the temperature range for our cars. I will try to take a picture later for you.
Seeing as you bought the adaptor I have no experience with them. Make sure the black wire is attached to black and the white to white. I think you may need to ground your adaptor to the car for the sensor to work properly, just run a wire from the adaptor frame to a near by metal ground part of the car.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, we've done that. We checked continuity of the ground on the adapter to the chassis with a multimeter. We even checked continuity of the black and white wires from the sensor to the connector that plugs into the gauge. All connections were as they should be.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Well, not being an expert, I would guess that either the sensor is defective or your top water hose just does not run enough water high enough thru it to give a true reading to the sensor. The last consideration would be that the gauge is defective or wired wrong. Were ever you bought the gauge should have no problem either giving you a new sensor or new gauge. And if not the sensors are rather cheap at Prosport directly. Except for you to try the OEM location, I am sorry that at the moment that is all I have as options for you. Good luck, Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts