Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ex-VPC Headbanger
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, not everyone is fortunate enough to live near a(n) (AWD) dyno to test performance upgrades. What I would like to do is use this thread to propose and discuss test suites that could be executed with relatively simple and available instruments (TMO datalogger, PC-Dyno, EGT, etc.).

My first proposal to kick around is to use the TMO datalogger to measure system air flow. I believe that if you plot MAS voltage and TPS voltage vs time any offset would indicate the combined lag and capacitance of the system. I would expect to see the TPS voltage rise before the MAS voltage. I would have preferred to measure a flow or pressure at the manifold but don't know if such a sensor exists that could be read by the TMO.

Ideally, you would do this before and after the upgrade but you could use similarly equiped "before" vehicles if the data was unavailable from the upgraded vehicle.

Comments are greatly appreciated. Don't worry about hurting my feelings, I'm an engineer, I have none.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'd just like to say. I love this guy...
But really, it's a good idea, and if I'm not mistaken Roger (and probably the others) have been doing that over the... years? It would be a neat idea to set up a place sepcifically for such a discussion. But if that were the case you would have to go out of your way for it. When it gets put up here it might get mixed in the shuffle a little but at least everyone knows where it's at...
Hmmm, did I just talk myself out of putting up a place specifically for this type of a discussion... Man I'm indecisive.
I also have a question about the datalogger that I'm gonna put in another thread (so I don't mess up yours david) so if you guys would please keep an eye out, I'd appreciate it.
thanks yall. keep boostin.
Mike
93 3000GT VR4 STOCK(will get out of the shop someday)
E-mail: [email protected]

[This message has been edited by VR-4_Owner (edited December 28, 1999).]

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Ahem, I live 10 minutes away from an AWD dyno and within a range of 1 hr driving I can reach about 6 others
Unfortunately, noone pays me the $100 for a session when I simply test a new ignition and I only do another run when I have finished an upgrade step.

For the tools, the datalogger comes as close as possible to the desired functions BUT ... it only reads data the ECU can deliver ! Therefore we have no other temp readings, no boost and only a limited airflow reading. The later becomes unuseable when one installs any fuel controller that alters the signal. But it is THE tool to record the timing and other readings.

For the other tools the PC-Dyno is ok but the real world is pretty different. I finally found it useless for me.

The Turbo calc is good small tool but lacks of features. It helps to calculate easy engine specific numbers.

I'm still working (when I have time) on my own hardware datalogger tool (I'm an EE and have other degrees in economics, etc.). The problem is that I can only get 10 readings per second andt for temperatures this is enough but not for boost and O2 sensors (ripple). the Datalogger doesn't log more and also other tools (like the one for GM cars) do log a max of 12 readings per second. This is the planned setup for a proper tuning and development system :

Temp :
- Intake temp sensor
- Turbo outlet temp (2)
- IC outlet temp (2)
- Intake manifold temp
- EGT (2)
- Oil
- Water

Pressure :
- Turbo outlet pressure (2)
- IC outlet pressure (2)
- Intake Manifold pressure
- Header pressure, before turbo (2)
- Exhaust backpressure 1 (2 in O2 sensor housing)
- Exhaust backpressure 2 (in testpipe)

Voltages :
- O2 sensors (2)
- TPS
- Injector signal (too fast at the moment)
- Crankshaft angle sensor (too fast)
- Ignition signal (too fast)
- rpm

It will not be able to read other frequencies than rpm (like the airflow signal) and can only read 8 signals at once and stores them for 30 seconds (or streamline mode to the Notebook). The problem is writing a Software and getting the right sensors but cost without the expensive EGT sensors should not be above $400. It may be combined with the TMO data as it can export the data. Synchronising could be done with the rpm data but as said, one must do the development and I simply have no time for this.

My car will go into the next phase by March 00. Then I do have EGT in the front and rear header as well as pressure reading pipes welded on them (also in the exhaust). The IC piping for the larger turbos is then also designed and includes the temp and boost sensors (with stock ICs). I may then need something to determine the efficiency of the small FMIC that I'm currently working on (from a small IVECO truck) that should fit without too much work on the fascia nor removing the crash guard.

You see guys, there is already a lot water flown down the river Rhein and I simply hit my head on some things like fast signals than cannot be logged, parts that are not available and software that doesn't exists. The microcontroller board (with 2-line LCD display) I'm working on is very simple and cheap and unfortunately any other signal-processing board is much more expensive and would easily cause the final price to explode. Simple hardware loggers with the ability to read 16 channels are way over $800 and do not really provide good resolution and are not as fast as necessary.

Now, you know why the automotive stuff is so expensive and no, it is not possible to enhance the TMO datalogger to read more other things as it is totally ECU oriented and nothing else.

Later
Roger, Switzerland
93'3000GT TT

·
Ex-VPC Headbanger
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To answer the first issue regarding the thread getting confusing if we discuss all the different tests, at the end of the day I will write it all up in a procedure manual and make it available for download.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I would be more than happy to conduct test on various performance mods. Since I am in the middle of my performance upgrades anyways... I called up UPRD to inquire about their AWD dyno. For 3 dyno runs, they charge a $50 setup fee and $125 for an hour. A little steep but I would be interested in getting my car on a dyno. Roger, I know that you don't think much of UPRD but they are the only game in town... let alone the country! Has anyone heard anything more about UPRD?
I guess I could do a dyno run now as a baseline and then another after I put the big turbos on my car. This won't help with the intercooler questions but oh well...

Jose Soriano
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
hey jose,

if u decide to go to UPRD, let me know.. i been wanting to check out their facility.. maybe i can tag along with ya!

George

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
They learn and just make sure you are getting a printout hp/tourque versus rpm. Do not let them do the test in 3rd because this will give way too fluctuating figures. 4th gear is the right one. Nobody wants a slip that say power against mph because everybody must convert this. You'll need about 45 minutes per run including everything. Try to push the price down if you go both the same time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts