Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1179 Posts

·
I love her▼
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Z11A....the FWD (some would say wrong wheel drive) non-turbo counterpart to the mighty AWD VR4. The Z11A doesn't get much respect unless ofcourse, you are referring to it as a strictly DD car.

I bought my 1995 Base Model 3000GT back in 2005. I had a choice between my car and paying a little extra for a 1G VR4. I was a noob back then so I chose the Base model with 222hp over the 300hp Twin Turbo VR4. Yea......looking back it probably wasn't the wisest decision but hey you live and you learn. Plus 222 with a V6 was a big step up from my 4 cylinder Accord pushing out 135hp hehe:D Here it is bone stock:

Unfortunately for me, while I was driving in the Accord, I had caught a little of the "RICER" bug and thus, I didn't really do stuff correctly. This netted me ugly things like my first exhaust. Here it is in all it's crush bent 2.5" glory:

YEAH.........I ran around like that with a 3SX DP and EBay Intake for about 2 years while doing minor modifications like my Robo-Mod. The thread documenting that process can be found here:

ROBO MOD THREAD

Finally in 2007, I had had enough of the N/A scene and started preparing to do a twin turbo conversion. I did a heck of a lot of research and finally in June 2007, I started my Build. It was a rough road and that whole entire journey can be found here:

TWIN TURBO JOURNEY

While completing that journey, I got my 18's for my 21st B-Day in July:

MY 18's

Then in the middle of January 2008, I spun two bearings and my car was done. I said goodbye to my car as it went off to the boys up at Piedmont Custom Motorsports because after putting in close to 400 hours with my twin turbo conversion, I was fed up with working on my own car...atleast for the time being. Here are a few pics I took while I watched it get taken away from me lol:

BYE BYE CAR

Finally, I decided that I was going to do something different and build a single turbo setup using a Master Power T70. Here are some pics I took of it that you guys probably already saw (taken from my other thread):

A big thankyou goes out to my long time friend Wolverine. Even though he seems to have lost his chest in a recent battle, he sucked it up, stood to his full height of 7.5" and grimaced, all to help me show off the size of my new turbo......thank you my friend, thank you.....
Here it is, June 13th, 2008 and ever since my car went down, I've been gathering parts and doing research and my new T70 journey is about to begin. I have everything I need, it just needs to be all put together now but I will detail all of THAT in my next post.....Just give me a couple mins haha;)

·
I love her▼
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update (6/13/2008)​

In this update I will TRY to give you a full list of my parts and an explanation of anything I feel may need some clarification. Let's start off with my choice of Turbo.

After doing a bunch of research on TheTurboForums.com, I made a choice to go with a Master Power T70 turbo with a .68A/R T4 turbine housing with P-trim turbine wheel. Master Power is a company out of Brazil and have been making high-quality turbos since the early 1970's IIRC. I guess that they, as a company, like to do things a bit differently because my MP T70 isn't really a T70, infact it is something quite different.

A few of the members on TheTurboForums.com got together and made some measurements of all the Master Power turbos. They made a excel spreadsheet detailing their findings. My turbo has a P-Trim turbine wheel just as described but the Compressor wheel is what is totally different than that of a regular T70. Here's a little comparison for you:

Regular T70 Compressor Wheel(Garrett Precision):
70mm Inducer, 88.9mm Exducer. 62Trim wheel

Master Power T70 Compressor Wheel:
69.1mm Inducer, 97.8mm Exducer. 50 Trim wheel

and for comparison's sake

Garrett GT4294 Compressor Wheel:

70.3mm Inducer, 94.0mm Exducer. 56 Trim Wheel

So yea it is clear that the Master Power T70 eclipses a regular T70 but what was amazing to me was that while a GT4294 had 1.2mm more than the Master Power T70 on the Inducer side, the MPT70 has 3.8mm on the Exducer side over the GT4294. So hey.....I guess it looks like I made a good choice for my turbo haha.

*Other than that, I am getting my heads ported and polished. Basically trying to copy the design of the DR Stage 3 Heads. The uppers and lower intake manifolds will be gasket and port matched accordingly.* (I've opted not to go though with this but just to clean them up due to time constraints.)

Here's a list of supporting mod parts (atleast the ones I can remember):

-Custom Driver's side Intake Manifold with Infiniti Q45 90mm Throttle Body
-P.T.E 680cc Injectors (~64.7lbs for those of you not using the Metric system)
-AEM Adjustable FPR
-Hotwired Walbro 255lph in tank
-Tial 38mm Wastegate with 9psi spring
-Tial 50mm BOV
-Wiseco forged 8.3:1 92mm Pistons
-New Forged Crank and with forged rods
-Custom 3.5" DP mated to 4" Single Shot Exhaust
-FMIC 24x12x3(Core, 31x12x3 End tank to End Tank) with 3" Piping all the way (Cold and Hot side)
-MAFT Pro tuning unit with 3.5Bar MAP sensor and timing control
-Stock Twin Turbo ECU
-SPEC Stage 2 Clutch (Rated at 498ft-lbs)
-Resurfaced stock TT Flywheel
-Fwd Converted 5 speed Getrag
-AEM EUGO WideBand
-Datalogger
-Manual Boost Controller
-All Relavant gauges
-All the turbo related parts from my previous TT build
-Custom Single turbo manifolds using the runners from ebay "DN Style" TDO4 manifolds mated to 2.5" pipe and coupled with 2 VBand Clamps.

I'm sure there is alot more that I am forgetting to list because I always forget to post alot haha. I should have lots of pics shortly or maybe my boy [email protected] will help me out by posting some (*hint*hint*);).

As far as power goals are concerned, I am looking for 500-550fwhp on pump gas as easily as possible (running the least amount of boost). It shouldn't be too hard because all I will need is about 375ft-lbs of tq out at 7300rpms. Let me know what you guys think.

·
I love her▼
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
woot! i love project threads

so are your exhaust manifolds all fabbed up or are you gonna make us wait for that part ;)
Oh sorry about that. I totally forgot to address that in the first post. I am actually doing something interesting with my exhaust manis. I had bought some of those Ebay DN style TDO4 mani's awhile back that I never ended up using. So what we are going to do is chop the TDO4 turbo inlet flanges off and weld some 2.5" piping onto the ends of the runners and mate those together in a T4 flange over the transmission. For easy access, we are going to cut those connecting pipes half way on both the front and back and use V Band flanges to connect it back to the rest of the assembly. That way if I need to disconnect it for some reason, it is quick and painless. The manifolds will then be coated to try and keep the exhaust gas velocity up and engine bay temps down a bit. Some of this info will be added to update one. Here are some pics of those mani's before we do the custom fabbin':

·
what would dave thomas do
391 Posts
Oh sorry about that. I totally forgot to address that in the first post. I am actually doing something interesting with my exhaust manis. I had bought some of those Ebay DN style TDO4 mani's awhile back that I never ended up using. So what we are going to do is chop the TDO4 turbo inlet flanges off and weld some 2.5" piping onto the ends of the runners and mate those together in a T4 flange over the transmission. For easy access, we are going to cut those connecting pipes half way on both the front and back and use V Band flanges to connect it back to the rest of the assembly. That way if I need to disconnect it for some reason, it is quick and painless. The manifolds will then be coated to try and keep the exhaust gas velocity up and engine bay temps down a bit. Some of this info will be added to update one.
i like what i hear! :bigok:

·
I love her▼
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's some pics of some of the parts. Unfortunately in my rush to get P.C.M the parts, I forgot to take pictures of most of them before I brought them to the shop. Unfortunately for me, The shop is about 25 mins away and I won't be able to go up again till early next week. The good news is I will bring my camera along with the last of the major parts (Clutch and brand new OEM head bolts) so I will be taking LOTS of pics!! Here's some pics and a video explaining part of the carnage haha:

Click here to see Video

Tial 38mm wastegate

My new Wiseco 92mm 8.3:1 pistons before being placed in my block (.035 over):

·
SOHC you in the FACE
5,762 Posts
tang, someone stole your motor yo ;)

Do you know what spring is in your wastegate?

·
I love her▼
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
very impressive mr. 3000
Thanks Doomzday.

I'm just waiting on my clutch...it should have been here last thursday so it better be here tomorrow or I will be really upset. I need to drop the last bit of parts off so I can get this build going. I've had WAY too many hang ups thus far.

Just to name a few:

1) I bought some used pistons which turned out to be garbage and since I was too trusting, I got duped and never received a refund.

2) I bought a used 5 speed getrag w/ 2nd gear grind along with flywheel, tt passenger axle, etc etc. The guy took 1 month to deliver on the deal and only did so after I harried him to. It was just excuse after excuse. Then after all that, all I receive is the tranny alone and none of the other parts I paid for...

3) So after that experience with buying used parts I was like "screw that! only new parts from here on out" So then I place an order for my wiseco pistons with one of the vendors and I received my pistons 1 month after placing an order because of like 50 complications. It wasn't their fault though, their supplier wouldn't ship the crap out so after 3 weeks, they canceled the order with them and got it from somewhere else.

4) Then, the machine shop had my block for over 2 months....They took 3 weeks alone to tell me the extent of the damage caused by my spun bearing. Then later on, they told me that everything was completed and that they were just awaiting the pistons to do a final bore. When they received the pistons it took them an additional 2.5 weeks to bore and hone the block. It was absolutely ridiculous.

There were many more stories but I will save my fingers and your eyes haha. Oh well, all is well and I may even have my car back by July 17th in time for my birthday.

I'll be back with more soon....

·
I love her▼
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cant wait to see how it turns out. You should get some in car videos of some pulls :) Your threads are also really interesting. I read all 45 pages worth of your last thread and it made me want to turbo my 3kgt now lol. Good luck. Keep us updated
I really appreciate it man. I'm glad that the threads are entertaining. I try to make it so that the text part is as interesting as possible cuz there is nothing worse than reading a boring wall of text haha.

Well I'm off to the shop guys. I will be back in a couple hours with a BOATLOAD of pics!

·
doing the impossible
1,953 Posts
Thanks Doomzday.

I'm just waiting on my clutch...it should have been here last thursday so it better be here tomorrow or I will be really upset. I need to drop the last bit of parts off so I can get this build going. I've had WAY too many hang ups thus far.

Just to name a few:

1) I bought some used pistons which turned out to be garbage and since I was too trusting, I got duped and never received a refund.

2) I bought a used 5 speed getrag w/ 2nd gear grind along with flywheel, tt passenger axle, etc etc. The guy took 1 month to deliver on the deal and only did so after I harried him to. It was just excuse after excuse. Then after all that, I receive is the tranny alone and none of the other parts I paid for...

3) So after that experience with buying used parts I was like "screw that! only new parts from here on out" So then I place an order for my wiseco pistons with one of the vendors and I received my pistons 1 month after placing an order because of like 50 complications. It wasn't their fault though, their supplier wouldn't ship the crap out so after 3 weeks, they canceled the order with them and got it from somewhere else.

4) Then, the machine shop had my block for over 2 months....They took 3 weeks alone to tell me the extent of the damage caused by my spun bearing. Then later on, they told me that everything was completed and that they were just awaiting the pistons to do a final bore. When they recieved the pistons it took them an additional 2.5 weeks to bore and hone the block. It was absolutely ridiculous.

There were many more stories but I will save my fingers and your eyes haha. Oh well, all is well and I may even have my car back by July 17th in time for my birthday.

I'll be back with more soon....
Mr.3000 is offline Add to Mr.3000's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote

yea man sorry for the late response im down senior week right now and its impossible to get a hold of the comp here lol. Dude sounds like a whole lot of B.S with the pistons and the block. I wish you luck please keep me updated im so excited to see this thing finished.

Alex

·
I love her▼
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea man sorry for the late response im down senior week right now and its impossible to get a hold of the comp here lol. Dude sounds like a whole lot of B.S with the pistons and the block. I wish you luck please keep me updated im so excited to see this thing finished.

Alex
Yea it's all good Alex. Thanks for the reply and I hope everything goes well with your senior week.

Alec, how in the world did I miss your thread!

Great write up! Need some more pics. :)

-John
Haha I don't know John but as you requested, here comes the pics.

·
I love her▼
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update (6/17/08) Part 1​

As I promised and as was requested here is a buttload of pics.

This awesome old school car:

My block getting prepped for paint:

Block all nice and painted:

My Spec Stage 2 clutch (rated at 498 ft-lbs...more than I should need)

Q45 90mm Throttle Body (My car is gonna love me hehe)

·
I love her▼
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update (6/17/08) Part 2​

My Tranny rebuild parts from Kormex:

Tial BOV:

My 3.05L compared to a 4.6L (YEA.....lol)

A couple pics of the showroom of Piedmont Custom Motorsports:

Eric hard at work:

Kyle not so hard at work:

The Kit Car (350+ whp and light = FAST)

My 3000 and the Kit Car

·
I love her▼
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update (6/17/08) Part 3​

Eric in action workin on the mom's car:

Sick Domestic:

And finally a vid of that domestic tearing it up in front of the shop:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aWKa_W_M4t4&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aWKa_W_M4t4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1 - 20 of 1179 Posts