Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Z16-Abuser
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The car was sitting at 2692 lbs the last time i had it together in the garage......this is not a tube chassis car, just a normal car with severe weight loss issues......if you don't want to hear the backstory skip down to the green lettering......

Hello, my name's Jay and I have a speed addiction. when I was 19 I bought a 92 vr4 just figuring I'd fix this little ricer and sell it to buy an old Mopar. once reality set in I had to spend a lot and learn even more to fix and sell this POS.

then i drove it. I never experienced turbos, awd, or handling, let alone speed like this. Needless to say, years went by and i grew to love/hate these cars.

Like any true addiction though, you can't get it out of your veins. Somewhere around 4 years ago me and my buddy nate were discussing the economic decline and how many parts we had laying around we couldn't sell. the joke was made we could build a whole car out of all the spare parts we have lying around. the more we talked the more we realized that was true. we joked further about just building a drag car so we could stop beating our street cars at the strip. Guess what?????? Fuk it happened......

Heres the who, what when where, why and how......

The Car:
93 green 3000gt SL cut and modified for AWD
The Engine:
92 rt na block(i think), 95 twin turbo heads and rotating assy, td04 9b turbos, 3sx adjustable cam gears, gates racing belt, ninja solid tensioner and pulley,
The Drivetrain:
w5mg1 (stock), Broomfield tcase (both front and mid), Mixed and matched clutch parts from RPS and Southbend, lightweight steel flywheel, 5 speed rear end
The Exhaust:
Fuck that
The Body:
OEM 93 3000gt, gutted hood, gutted hatch, Southspeed Hood scoops, Front mustache deleted, rear spoiler moved rearward on trunk
The Interior:
Gutted and stripped everything, factory steering wheel, Racing seat out of 69 Dodge Dart, Double DIN 3/S aluminum dash panel flipped upside down and used for "dash", all unnecessary wiring deleted
The Brakes:
Na front two piston calipers cross drilled and slotted discs, 1g vr4 rear single piston sliders, Brake booster deleted
The Wheels:
98 eclipse spyder 16"
The Suspension:
Megan coilovers, 3sx adjustable control arms

theres probably more but i can't remember it all right now.

the idea of this car has been to build it cheaply and so it is easy to work on.

pictures will be on the way asap. I already have most of the build progress posted on the link below. For those of you that use facebook add me and follow me, i plan on having this thing out at the track this year.

https://www.facebook.com/fatanslowracing

Ill see what i can do about pictures guys, but every time i post them they never come out right or don't show up at all.

·
Registered
822 Posts
That is indeed light for a AWD TT 3s. Maybe the lightest weight I've seen reported.

How much weight did cutting "unecessary" sheetmetal help in losing weight you'd say? Where did you lose the most weight cutting? And guessing it has lost a lot of chassis stiffness from cutting like that without adding a cage though?

Also I didn't know you could use a NA block for a TT? Is it the same as 2 bolt TT block?(this question probably been answered a lot before but w/e)

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,122 Posts
I like where this is going!

Still a couple hundred+ lbs to go to be as light as meat missile's car but looks like you did it on the cheap :)

Looking forward to seeing where you take this! Have any events you plan to hit this year? Where are you located?

·
Z16-Abuser
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is indeed light for a AWD TT 3s. Maybe the lightest weight I've seen reported.

How much weight did cutting "unecessary" sheetmetal help in losing weight you'd say? Where did you lose the most weight cutting? And guessing it has lost a lot of chassis stiffness from cutting like that without adding a cage though?

Also I didn't know you could use a NA block for a TT? Is it the same as 2 bolt TT block?(this question probably been answered a lot before but w/e)
i weighed it after i was done with most if not all of my cutting......i don't know where most of the weight went. we set the scales up and i asked my dad what it said. "2694 or wait 92." i yell your reading wrong lets re read the instructions and make sure we didn't fuk up somewhere. nope. that's what it weighs. my mind was fucking blown. i was praying for 3300 and if i was lucky, maybe 3200. i didn't cut anything structural that would affect it as a chassis. i wouldn't drive this as a street car, but that's not what it was meant for. this car is a stout car from the factory but most of that is unnecessary when driving it in a straight line. it was a luxury grand tourer. most of what defines that is not needed in a drag racing scenario.

Na blocks are only different in their not having oil squirters and the nickel content is less from what ive heard.

·
4G63 swap initiated
7,360 Posts
Exhaust: Fuck that hahahaha

Beer: Yes please

You drive it yet?????

·
Z16-Abuser
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like where this is going!

Still a couple hundred+ lbs to go to be as light as meat missile's car but looks like you did it on the cheap :)

Looking forward to seeing where you take this! Have any events you plan to hit this year? Where are you located?
there is nothing done to this car that wasn't done with tools you can buy at central tractor or harbor freight. no chromemoly, no tube frame. Cutoff wheels, oxy acetylene torch and a 110 welder. the intercooler piping was either exhaust pipe or recycled oem ic piping. i spent $20 on my entire intercooler setup. the lexan is 3/16" sheeting we cut to fit. the coolant overflow bottle is an old washer bottle off of a 60's dodge. everything has been done as low budget as possible.

it was kind of built to make a point. people in this platform think you need to buy $1000 spark plug covers but they are running 11's. the plan for now is a bracket car. a car people can see week in and week out. Not the most mind blowing 2000hp quarter mile they ever saw with anti lag and OOOOOOPs it broke at the line. Every one in this platform adopted the "go big or go home" and either break their cars or don't race at all. there's 50 mustangs out there each week, not every one of those are fast, some are 15 second cars, and a lot of them are beat, but everybody still worships mustangs. not us. we need to run 10's or we shouldn't show up cause we are not as fast as the supra that shows up every 6 weeks. that's why nobody knows any real facts about our platform.

i live right near Keystone raceway park, about an hour east of Pittsburgh, pa. i figure ill have quite a pile of sorting out to do before i can upgrade the car, but consistency is important in bracket racing, so one step at a time. right now i have to degree the cams and install the tensioner kit i just picked up from chris. then i have some more fabbing to do, wiring to delete, safc install, fuel pump hotwire,i can't remember what else, but hoping to have it ready for the season.

·
Z16-Abuser
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exhaust: Fuck that hahahaha

Beer: Yes please

You drive it yet?????
stop over buddy, we always have beer on tap......if not my dad keeps cans until he picks up a fresh keg......nah i haven't driven it yet but i hope soon......i have to pick up some used tires to replace the bald ones on it now. cant wait to try out and see how pissed the neighbors get with open 02 dumps.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,122 Posts
Like your style. And agree 100% that more owners need to get their cars out and run them.

·
Ancient Spirit Of Evil
3,922 Posts
even if you didn't TT the car, 2692 lbs would have still been fast as N/a

·
Registered
369 Posts
Love the exhaust idea, I'll take the baffles out of my SL exhaust as a tribute. I have a 95 Mazda Protege 5 speed that I was toying around with just running two resonators and no cats but now maybe just the one resonator only.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts