Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my 1992 Dodge Stealth ES staying running. The check engine light was on for a little bit before I could get it into a shop being T-Day weekend. Now the light is off and the car only runs for about 10 - 20 seconds before it shuts off on its own. I can sometimes start it up and it will do the same thing, then sometimes it will not start again until it has sat for a bit.

When it shuts off on its own, it is as if someone turned the key off. It does not sputter or anything. I could greatly need some help with this... If you need more info or something let me know and I will try to better explain something. HELP ME OUT?!?!?!

HellBound
'92 Stealth ES

·
I suck @ Life
1,934 Posts
wow, that's a good one, TTT for you

sounds computer related.............

·
hangsout w/ his wang out
2,555 Posts
Maybe its the ECM computer...

·
3s enthusiast
1,265 Posts
Oversimplified but... maybe the battery

Have the dome light on the whole time and watch it. When it shuts off, if the dome light is on I have no idea, but the battery going out would take that with it. Might be a terrible connection (corrosion or something) that is really touchy.

Who knows, I really don't know anything about cars:( .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to let you know... I know for a fact it is not the battery. The radio stays on when the car dies(new battery and cables).

As for the ECM, where is that located at??? If it is the one that is behind the radio, I had that replaced about 1 1/2 years ago when the tranny was rebuilt.

Any other suggestions... Could it be the IAC as suggested on someone elses post? What is it and where is it???

HELP PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASE?!?!??!

HellBound
'92 Stealth ES

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
this damn server is slow,

anyway check the MAS mass airflow sensor plug. it could be bad or needs cleaning and no CE light will come on. mine's was bad ran crappy but did not die.

·
hangsout w/ his wang out
2,555 Posts
HellBound said:

As for the ECM, where is that located at??? If it is the one that is behind the radio, I had that replaced about 1 1/2 years ago when the tranny was rebuilt.
Yeah its that.. when i replaced mine my car stopped dying on me. Maybe you have a differnet problem. Best of luck to you!

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Man it sounds electrical to me, too. Seems like if it was the IAC or something fuel/mechanical related it would sputter a little bit.

Good advice above.. check the plug to the MAS.. remove it, clean it up, put it back on, see if that helps.

The first thing that came to my mind was the ECU (ECM). Since you know where it is, get down in there and take a whiff. If it smells like rotting fish (seriously), then it is bad (again). Also listen for a click from the ECU (or series of clicks) just before or just after it shuts down. Again, sign of a bad one.

Finally, find a friend with a Datalogger, and have him scan for codes. That could give you a better lead on what's wrong.

Definately keep us updated, though! This is interesting!
(I don't recall ever hearing this exact problem).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay to give an update on what is going on... I have tried a new battery and that didn't work... I put a fuel filter on and still dies... I checked the fuel pump and that continues to run until the car dies... Running out of ideas...

An import mechanic said that since there is no CE light that there is no need to hook up a scanner to the car. He suggested to let the car run until it died then check to see if it has spark since it doesn't start back up after it dies. I tried that and I have NO SPARK after the car dies. I am guessing either the distribution block is going bad or there is some sensor that is shutting down the distribution block.

Anyone have any ideas on this one????

HellBound
'92 Stealth ES

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called the parts store and they said that this ignitor thing is an ingition control modular. I am wondering if there is any other type of vehicle that uses the same as the Stealth that a salvage yard might have that I can get one off of???

HellBound
'92 Stealth ES

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am looking for an ignition module for my 1992 Dodge Stealth ES. The part number from it is MD152999. Anyone with a good one please let me know how much you would sell it to me for. I need it ASAP.......

HellBound
'92 Stealth ES

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to fill you all in on this problem... I ordered a new ignition module and installed it yesterday. I started the car and it ran for about 3 minutes and died as if someone turn the key again. So it is not the ignition module. I am taking it in to a shop around here and he is going to diagnose the problem for me. I will fill you in on what happens, if you guys are still interested.

HellBound
'92 Stealth ES

·
Registered
497 Posts
any update?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry it's been a while since I have updated you all on this. Right now I am waiting for the shop to get ahold of Snap-On so they can verify that their analyzer is working correctly and if they have the right hook-up and program for the car. They are saying that their analyzer and my computer are not communicating with each other. They want to make sure their analyzer is good before they jump to the conclusion that it is the computer. I will fill you in as soon as I get anything else.

HellBound
'92 Stealth ES

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
If you're near Kansas City, call Mike Sullivan at Northtowne Mitsubishi (818 453 3710 x 274) and ask if you can borrow his Mitsu scan tool.

See my FAQ for how to read the diagnostic connector yourself. It will tell you less information than a proper scan tool, but it's better than just blindly replacing parts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts