Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Iv got an N/A so its fwd. And in races I get killed some times because I get horrible wheel hop. I just sit there and do this peel-go-peel-go-peel-go action almost all the way through first gear. Its really killing my launches. Advice please!!!

·
mmm.. caffeine
3,868 Posts
What kinda tires and suspension (I just saw Intrax in your sig, nice sig btw.) do you have?

A good person to ask would be Wickeddrew.....he takes his NA to the track and seems to be an excellant driver.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive got the stock tires. Goodyears or something (pretty hard). And actually the intrax wont be on until this weekend.

·
mmm.. caffeine
3,868 Posts
I'm thinking traction (well duh) or tire wear has to do with what your describing. I'd ask you what RPM you are launching but I can't really help you there. :)

You do have a manual right? Might be in your timing with the clutch. I'm not that experienced on racing/launching but I drive a stick right now (Its a truck). The tires are pretty worn and I get that hopping to sometimes. I'm not racing though.:D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, its a manual. Oh, and my tires are pretty bald in front, but id figure the more surface area on the tire, the more traction, like drag slicks.

·
mmm.. caffeine
3,868 Posts
I'm pretty sure that is not how it works. If the tires are worn then they are probably not going to be worn evenly. You may be "hopping" from that.

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
BUSTA-DOUGLASS said:
Advice please!!!

Advice: ~~~> learn to launch

A

·
0 Posts
Hey! I bet those bald tires are awesome in the rain. :)

For RWD cars, you can look at lower control arms and such to reduce wheel hop. Maybe you can look into something like that for your front end?

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
BUSTA-DOUGLASS said:
Yeah, its a manual. Oh, and my tires are pretty bald in front, but id figure the more surface area on the tire, the more traction, like drag slicks.
I don't know much about this but i'm pretty sure that this is your problem. Your tires should have even tread on them. And if you say that they are both pretty bald i would go and buy a new set, and if you have the stock tires you need some new ones anyway ;)

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
BUSTA-DOUGLASS said:
You could be like me...too lazy/cheap to buy new tires (I'm waiting for a new set of rims). So just rotate your front tires to the back, like I did. heh, whatever works ;)

·
W3Si member #010
1,765 Posts
Bald tires are not good at all. They are not made the same way slicks are. Nor are they using the same rubber compound. I just rotated my tires from front to back a week ago because I was having the same wheel-hop problem you have. And I wouldnt recommend launching over 2500rpms either. And maybe a little lower on bumpy pavement. Good luck and Drive safe!

·
W3Si member #010
1,765 Posts
And my hopping problem was fixed, but you will never get rid of the tire spin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts