Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a some performance car. I was thinking about Probe GT, Stealth, MX6 or Firebird (all V6). My goal is to modified those cars, but I dont really know if there are some possibilities to modify Probe or Stealth (I know that Firebird is easy to work with). Whjat is your opinion. Besides that who will win Probe GT or Stealth ES (5speed both cars)...
Thanks

·
Exotics Only
8,685 Posts
i had a probe, it was good condition but after a while one thing led to another and the engine was shit, ran awful, theres alot to do with it as far as looks, but performance its limited, id say for performance, your best bet would be a stealth, there are the most parts for those i would say.....the probe is stylish but only backs 164HP.....

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
if you're looking for performance, you'll be disappointed with all of those. the probe and firebird are generally unreliable. the mx-6 is just a heavier ford probe -- they're factory twins, but the mx-6 is higher end (and higher weight).

the stealth es is probably the best bet, but you can only take it so far with mods before you run out of options. either get the stealth es or splurge and get the v8 firebird or stealth rt tt.

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
Of course the Stealth will win! ;)

MX-6-my boy has one of these. he has the 4 banger tho. parts are hard to find. his car is "okay" off the line but dies from a roll. he spent 7k to buy and is spending 8k+ to fix it, keeps breaking down. :( plus, i haven't seen too many 6's that go for speed, all the ones i know go for "show"

Probe- i have no experience..everyone around here makes fun of people w/ probes aka Probe Masters :eek:

Firebird- my boy has a highly modified one, parts are easy to find and they're pretty fast

what yr of these cars were u planning to get?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
man the stealth es can be taken as far as you want, dont listen to any tt owners tell you differently, they are making twin turbo kits and i believe that our cars will be running better times than the vr-4's soon enough, only time will tell

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
Better times than the VR4s:rolleyes:

I haven't heard of any NAs breaking into the 11's yet. Shit, I can't recall any NAs getting into the mid 12's for that matter.

The VR4s and TTs are at what? 10.8x

NA Power!!!!! Oh wait, that's an oxymoron isn't it:rolleyes:

To make an NA go fast, it needs turbos. The price of an NA + the price of the turbo kit for it is more expensive than just buying a TT to start. Not to mention less of a headache and you don't have to pay labor for someone to install the motor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VR4

I wish to buy vr4 but insurance costs in NYC would kill me, thats whi I forced to buy NA. If you live in NYC you know what I mean (the same thing with firebird V8)

·
When ur livin in a van...
409 Posts
In order for us NA's to break into the 12s or below, chances are we are going to need either turbos or a supercharger, or a hell of a lot of nitrous, but then we wouldn't be NA's anymore and we'd be stuck in the same group as you twin turbo guys. :p

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
pogophil said:
the probe and firebird are generally unreliable.
I've had my firebird (91 3.1l v6)) for 2 years now, put over 50k on her since i bought it for 900$ (mechanically perfect, few paint chips) and since the 50k I have put on her (total of 190k) the ONLY thing I have had to replace is the Mass Air flow sensor, tranny is still has its neck-snapping shifting technique, a few little quirks from the engine, but, the worst thing, has the typical GM creeks and odd noises inside the cabin

Not exactly sure why you say they are unreliable, this car sees the worst of all abuse, took her offroading, and I beat the crap out of it regularly, pedal is usually gas or brakes.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
My 91 Firebird has been solid also I put 30k on her and she broke 100k a few months ago. All I've had to replace is the thermostat.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
How much are you willing to spend initially? The probe gt and mx6 should be out of the question compared to the stealth and firebird. If you're looking for something to run fast 1/4 times, than I would get a stealth rt/tt or a firebird. The cost to modify an N/A to 13's and below is a bit pricey. Yes, there are turbo kits coming out for the n/a, but then look at it like this:

91 Stealth ES $4500
turbo kit + $7000
LSD + $900

You're looking at roughly $12400 for a Stealth that runs 12's

91 Stealth RT/TT $7000

Then you still have the $5400 you saved from Stealth ES modifications to put your RT/TT in 11's and have AWD instead of FWD with a LSD.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Look man, just buy a v6 firebird and then drop a 350 in it from a formula or TA, the insurance place never has to know. Performance parts for 350s grow on trees! Dont get me wrong it will cost you money to tune up a 350. But, just think, say you start from a 3.0 DOHC w/222 hp, and add the $7k for the turbo kit, and the $900 for the LSD, yeah youll have a fast car, but if you spend that same $7900 on a 350....youd have a wicked car. Shoot you could have it stoked and balanced for around 2k, and add a cam, steal crank, and do head work for around 2k, then youd have the rest of your money for the top end, transmition, and exhaust. If anyone tells you other wise tell them they dont know wtf theyre talking about. No offense to stealths, its just all about power potential. 3.0L or 5.7L.....or perhaps 383ci? You decide.

·
Tire Pumper Extraordinair
4,091 Posts
(Note: see sig, I actually OWN both)

First, it boils down to:

NA 3/S nicer/better built, but Probe cheaper.

IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

Speed? The 3/S is a little faster, but not that much. Not enough to warrent picking one car over the other.

Handling? The Probe is an overgrown Miata with a much more sport tuned sunspension than a 3/S. Feels a lot more 'nimble' than a 3/S but you get used to either car after a few hours of driving. The 3/S does feel more stable due to wider track and extra weight.

Modding? Probe hands down. You might as well spring for a TT/VR4 if you're buying a 3/S, unless you like burning through cash.

Reliability? 96-97 years the PGT is better than the 3/S since you don't have to worry about a broken T-Belt or tensioner trashing the top half of your engine! 93-95 years there are a number of know issues with PGT's that will need attention (see www.probetalk.com for more details)

Also, the PGT is definatelty faster than a SOHC 3/S, unless the PGT driver doesn't know how to shift.

Ted

·
The Voice of Reason
2,023 Posts
tbadiuk said:
Reliability? 96-97 years the PGT is better than the 3/S since you don't have to worry about a broken T-Belt or tensioner trashing the top half of your engine!
I didn't know there was a problem with timing belts that have been replaced at the proper intervals and checked occasionally :rolleyes:

·
is dominating the race!
7,527 Posts
on another note, I outran a later model v6 camaro on the highway the other night (the style where the z28 had the lt1, not the ls1)

so that would make a v6 firebird out of the question too i believe, if a lousy 164hp sohc stealth can leave it in the dust at 120mph+

·
Tire Pumper Extraordinair
4,091 Posts
pensfan83 said:

I didn't know there was a problem with timing belts that have been replaced at the proper intervals and checked occasionally :rolleyes:
PGT is a non-interference design, if it breaks no big deal. 3/S no so, bye-bye top end of engine. Also, getting the T-Belt PROPERLY installed on a 3/S is a lot harder. Lots of stories of them being tensioned incorrectly and then slipping before the next 60k. This is a major issue for those of use that don't live in CA or anywhere else that doesn't have a 3/S speciality shop that knows how to work on these cars.

Let's put it this way: In my city (pop. 800k or so) I'm having trouble finding a dealer/shop that has anyone who's ever changed a T-Belt of a Strealth. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence that the belt will be installed correctly, does it?

Ted

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.