Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i have the 3sx kit and can only get 6psi.

first i had a bad leak at the intake bubble.. fix already. still only getting 6psi.

i am using a ryobi portable 18v inflator.. it is super loud when operating so it's hard for me to hear hissing. i sprayed where i can but cant verify anything bubbling. im sure i still have a leak somewhere idle is funny.

do you guys think the compressor is not strong enough???
i have a manual boost controller that i did not take off it is set to 12psi.. i want to atleast put 10-11psi in it but cant get past 6.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,221 Posts
Hello and welcome.

Similar topics have come up lately, so I would search more regarding the actual setup and testing procedure if you are unsure.

Advice Needed << one of my posts where I link yet another similar thread with discussion and more links...

That portable device is not going to be enough unless you block-off the Y-Pipe/UICP from the TB. The MBC can remain installed, however, a bleeder style will do exactly that - bleed off. At a minimum, you will want a small pancake compressor. Worst case scenario, you can try short, careful bursts while monitoring at a gas station, but I would avoid this unless you have a helping set of capable hands.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
853 Posts
Hello and welcome.

Similar topics have come up lately, so I would search more regarding the actual setup and testing procedure if you are unsure.

Advice Needed << one of my posts where I link yet another similar thread with discussion and more links...

That portable device is not going to be enough unless you block-off the Y-Pipe/UICP from the TB. The MBC can remain installed, however, a bleeder style will do exactly that - bleed off. At a minimum, you will want a small pancake compressor. Worst case scenario, you can try short, careful bursts while monitoring at a gas station, but I would avoid this unless you have a helping set of capable hands.
Yup, this.

Get a $39.99 harbor freight coupon for the 3 gallon air compressors. A very important tool to have.

·
Premium Member
6,969 Posts
That pressure tester is Rob Beck's old design. To date the best tutorial on using it is still his original sale post from 2004:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all, i went through all of those threads. thats the only way i knew how to block off that hose.

so do you guys for sure know that this will work? do you have it personally or something just like it you can confirm for me?

it's not the pancake one because my garage is small but it seems exactly the same specs. i thought for sure it was my little compressor.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,221 Posts
Yes, I have had a pancake one forever and still use it for testing while late-night tuning or on-the-go. It is actually perfect because it can be turned on while sitting inside the car to lessen the noise where my larger garage unit would be otherwise inconvenient.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
1991 VR4
853 Posts
thank you all, i went through all of those threads. thats the only way i knew how to block off that hose.

so do you guys for sure know that this will work? do you have it personally or something just like it you can confirm for me?

it's not the pancake one because my garage is small but it seems exactly the same specs. i thought for sure it was my little compressor.
Yes, but do not pay full price for that. They send out 39.99 coupons all the time for that exact one (hotdog or pancake). Let me know if you can't find one. The one you linked is the same one i use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks,

so i was at harborfreight today and saw it. however noticed it didn't come with the hose or any attachments.. so i was looking at these two attachment pieces.. the hose and the chuck.

will it work? how will i know how much psi i am putting into the system?

i was looking at this and was thinking i can add it to 3sx pressure plate next to the valve stem? i dont know if that is a 1/4 fitting or not because 3sx doesn't say so in their description..

how are you guys set up to run this bboyalan and jrhorne?

·
Premium Member
6,969 Posts
thanks,

so i was at harborfreight today and saw it. however noticed it didn't come with the hose or any attachments.. so i was looking at these two attachment pieces.. the hose and the chuck.

will it work? how will i know how much psi i am putting into the system?

i was looking at this and was thinking i can add it to 3sx pressure plate next to the valve stem? i dont know if that is a 1/4 fitting or not because 3sx doesn't say so in their description..

Yes, it's 1/4" pipe thread... I've never used the tire stem on mine, I have an air hose coupler screwed into that hole. Mine has a third hole with a pressure gauge in it.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
853 Posts
Yes i believe you need to buy a cheap air hose. The pressure tester has the quick connect on it, so you connect the host directly to the pressure tester. Use the regulator on the compressor to set it to the desired PSI. Fill the air compressor, turn it off, then connect it tot he pressure tester and listen for leaks. You dont want to use the tire fill valve to do the pressure test.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SILLY QUESTION.... am i suppose to plug the nipple on the valve cover also? i just plugged the hose from the intake bubble but left the nipple on the valve cover open.. noticed a little of air coming through it..

·
Registered
1991 VR4
853 Posts
realmccoy and jrhorne, is there any way you can provide me with pictures or video of your setup?
Its simple. One end of the hose goes to the air compressor, the other end onto the pressure tester. That's it. The pressure tester has the tire fill fitting and the quick connect one; in this case you are using the quick connect one. Use the regulator on the air compressor to dial down psi (10-20) as you dont want it to try and send 100psi into the system.

SILLY QUESTION.... am i suppose to plug the nipple on the valve cover also? i just plugged the hose from the intake bubble but left the nipple on the valve cover open.. noticed a little of air coming through it..
You dont need to plug that because then you are just going to pressurzing the crankcase. If you have air coming out of there or out of the oil cap, air is getting into the crankcase, likely past the rings. That's not necessarily a problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks jrhorne. so i wouldn't need the pressure gauge linked above then it seems.

so i figured when i took the valve core out i was able to get about 8psi so much better.. but have a bad leak coming from the rear turbo area now.. it was first coming from the intercooling o ring. i fixed that and now that parts good but it is still coming from that area. i cannot pinpoint it as i saturated that area with soapy water and no leaks.. but as soon as i turn my compressor off i can hear it leaking from the rear turbo area.

is there any lines below the turbo that i cannot see or look at? i sprayed the whole area including the wastegate, bottom intercooler piping, plenum rear hoses, mbc, egr line, and what not.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
853 Posts
No, no need for the gauge if the compressor has a regulator (and gauge).

Did you follow Alan's advice above by first blocking off the y-pipe to throttle body area so that you are only pressurizing from intake bubble to throttle body? That will allow you to build up pressure much easier and find all the leaks in the intake/charge pipe/IC system.

Anyways, yes the rear turbo Oring is a common leak. You could also be leaking from the rear turbo inlet if the coupler there is not tight. There is also a vacuum line that goes to the rear turbo intake pipe, which may or may not be plugged depending on your setup. In that area is also where pretty much all of the vacuum lines T and merge if you are on stock setup. There are some buried down underneath, such as the hardlines that run from the back to front of the engine. They aren't below the turbo, but rather to the side of it. You should be able to see the other side of them from the front of the car looking down by the front turbo. Honestly the soapy water method isnt great IMO, it usually only works when you already know where the leak is at. I would just listen/reach around and touch different components until you hear the sound change.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i checked the hardlines.. i only have the waste gate lines hooked up, everything else was deleted like the egr and what not. do u have a picture of this vacuum line to the turbo intake.. if you are referring to the one closer to the maf i have that one plugged. i sprayed all over the coupler too

i did not try blocking the throttle body.. will try that too.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
853 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thank you for the reply..

so i have fully eliminated my rear turbo and full pipe. i blocked off throttle body and no leaks. however plugged it back in and can distinctively hear it coming from under the turbo area.

one thing i noticed today that i didn't before was that when it leaked, i can hear fuel/oil smell along with the air... what is back there? rear valve cover? what else can be back there..

·
Registered
1991 VR4
853 Posts
So you are saying you hear it from down by the rear turbo when you unblock the TB and pressurize? But no leak when the TB was blocked? That means its after the TB - rear turbo wastegate line, intake manifold gasket, injector seals, intake plenum gasket, or really any vacuum line coming from TB or plenum.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts