Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Missing my VR4
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know..........a Cardinal Sin..............I am going to drive my baby during the Winter. :eek:

Curious if ya'all could provide some tips on how best to protect her.

I have Zaino'd her..........with a few more coats to come ....weather willing.

Any advice.......would be great!! Still may invest in another car or truck...........but would hate to fork out the cash ...if I don't have too.

PS - I live in Winter Hell..............Wisconsin.:p

·
Registered
557 Posts
oh man, you aren't:( do your self and your car a favor...........get the beater!!!!!:) .........btw like my winter "beater":D sorry had to rub it in.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Wash it daily, paying particular attention to the wheel wells and the undercarriage (i.e. all the places where salt is likely to get lodged).

Install a block heater, to save wear and tear when starting a cold engine.

Use thinner oil, like 5W-30.

Make sure your radiator fluid is fresh.

Put graphite (liquid or powder) in all the keyholes now, rather than waiting for your locks to freeze shut.

Make sure your wipers work, and that the windshield fluid is topped up and sprays properly.

Put your car up on blocks for the winter, and ignore everything I just said.

·
Registered
557 Posts
3265.....holy posts batman!!!!!:)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Speaking of Winter...

Is there a list of "things to do" to get your car properly stored away for winter?
I did a quick search here but didn't see anything relevant.

Not in any particular order, I'm thinking:

0) Wash&Wax and ut a breathable car cover on
1) put car on axle stands (to get the weight off the suspension)
2) Remove/disconnect battery
3) Drain oil (or just change oil before parking it?)
4) Drain trans fluid ? (should this be done?)
5) Drain gas or put stuff (can someone tell me what this is?) in gas
6) Remove wheels and cover the brake/rotors (someone told me this helps prevent siezing/rust?)
7) lube all joints like hinges, etc.

Anything else, or is there an official "How to store your 3S for winter" site somewhere?

thanks.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
You can get personal opinions on winter storage from my FAQ. (And you can get personal opinions on pretty much everything else simply by phoning me).

I used to store a '66 Corvette in a barn in Canada, so my FAQ answer is based largely on my experience back then, which itself was largely based on an article in an issue of Hot Rod magazine. My knowledge about rusty cylinders comes from wintering my Harley in the dining room.

Other 3SI people are of the opinion that it is fine to just shove the car in a garage somewhere, and fire it up once a week or so, and perhaps move it back and forth a few feet. I think they're nuts, but so long as they're happy ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts