Amps:
Punch 250.2
Punch 100.2

Speakers:
6 1/2 Focals K2 Component (Front)
5 1/4 Focals K2 Component (Rear)

Deck:
Alpine PreAmp

What I want to be able to do is figure out a way I can control the fade from front to rear. I know I can do this with what I got, but I plan on buying a sub and powering it with the Punch 100.2 or 250.2 depending on what sub I get. Basically I need to replace one of my amps with a 4-channel amp, but I don't want to have to buy another amp.

So my question is can I use the stock amp to power the rear Focals and use the Punch 100.2 to power the front, then when I buy the sub I can use the Punch 250.2 to push it.

teck

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SCRAP

Scrap what?? The Apline headunit comes like that. Why would I want to scap anything? It's all bad ass shit. If anything I'll sell the Punch 250.2 and buy a four channel, but I would perfer not to that's why I asked the question in the thread started. It's simple, has anyone used the stock amp with an after market system?

·
poser
2,611 Posts
I would scrap the Focal components in the rear and power the front exclusively. Two channel reproduction is about recreating an accurate soundstage in front of you. This ain't Pink Floyd's Quadrophenia tour.

I know full well the gear you have there, nice choices. Rear components are useful for surround sound applications only, and dubiously at that. I'd run a lot of power to the front components, save money on the rears, and power a sub properly.

Damn people get testy.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I kinda like the sound of Quad speakers. Sounds like your surround instead of sitting at a concert.

Ever turn off the rear speakers in your car?

·
poser
2,611 Posts
in my other car, with the high-end install that's seen about 10 iterations and 50 brands over 5 years, my first step was to remove my rear speakers. The finest sounding cars in the world use rear speakers only for 5.1 applications. If you are set on rear speakers, they should be midranges only, highpassed for a little diffuse ambience. Tweeters in the rear pulls the soundstage being you.

So in other words, when I get around to completing the insane plans for the Stealth, the rear speakers will be utilized only for 5.1 DVD-V and DVD-A applications.

·
I suck @ Life
1,934 Posts
uh oh....the "Pink Floyd's Quadrophenia tour" reference again!:D

if you are set on the rear comps, you will need another amp or a four channel, but i will have go with mobile on this one scrap the rears you don't need them.

KC

·
poser
2,611 Posts
When in doubt :)

I need to be less aggressive here. Sorry to take out personal unrest on those asking sincere questions. My apologies if I was abrasive, teck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
rear speakers

If I might...now, i don't want to disagree with professionals here, because i'm certainly not one, but I've always been curious at the "You've been at a concert haven't you? the sounds in the front" well, I've been to many a concert, and the sounds not only in front, hell, it's all around you...especially if your front row, you'll usually have them to the sides and in back of you, and while they're (mostly) facing forward, they're usually bouncing back to you, and often times you'll have speakers facing inward towards the middle from the sides...so while I agree with the majority of the sound up front, don't you want some sound in the back? instead of putting nothing in there? that is, if your truly measuring your sound system on "the concert experience" ....is that how they professionaly judge?

·
poser
2,611 Posts
Hrm. I'm talking about a real concert: acoustical, so forth. Not speakers everywhere, that sort of defeats the purpose.

Hi fidelity systems are evaluated very stringently.

A properly arranged front stage leaves no need for rear fill aside from surround applications.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts