Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if I'm the first to do this, but I've never seen it before.
Realizing how pricey PS tensioners are I thought - "there has to be an off the shelf pulley that would fit". I think there is. It's Gates PN 38031. There are also cross references from Dayco and continental (check Rock Auto). These are made for certain Toyota/Lexus cars.
Here are the pulley-to-pulley differences:
1) Gates pulley is about .3mm smaller in diameter.
2) Gates pulley weighs about 32% less.
3) Both are 4-ribbed serpentine style.
4) Gates pulley cost = $16

Basic instructions:

1) Drive center pin out with punch from rear. (Dont use a puller - I made that mistake. The pin has a shoulder on the outside so puller = bad idea)
2) Remove old pulley.
3) Remove backer washer and replace with 7/16" SS flat washer. This will give new pulley the right clearance and centerline. The washer I used was about .050 or so thick. center hole about 12.5mm (vs. 12mm for the pulley(s))
4) Re-assmble. I'd use red locktite on the center pin/bracket interface even though its probably overkill as it's an interference fit anyway. (note: circlip used on factory pulley isn't required.)

Done.
I haven't run this yet, so replicate at your own risk. Although I see no reason it won't work perfectly.

Pics - enjoy (note the center pin wasn't driven in yet on the new pulley):

·
Premium Member
6,958 Posts
I concede that it's definitely a workable option, but I'm curious why you went down that road..? If you've gone to the trouble to press the assembly apart, why not just replace the $5 6301 bearing in the original pulley?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I concede that it's definitely a workable option, but I'm curious why you went down that road..? If you've gone to the trouble to press the assembly apart, why not just replace the $5 6301 bearing in the original pulley?
I wanted to see if it could be done. I like the idea of a lighter pulley, and saves a little time by skipping the bearing press out...that's all. You could probably get the pulley cheaper too if you looked around. I think $15 was the cheapest I saw.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I lucked out and found the pulley in about 5 minutes looking through the Dayco catalog, so I don't have any time invested, lol.
If it was going to take any longer I would have went to bearing route.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,777 Posts
Seems like a neat rotating mass reduction mod.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!
8,814 Posts
I just replaced the bearing. I think I wrote it up, but of course photobucket has screwed up all the images!

-SP

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought about this thread after seeing a WTB post for the tensioner.
I meant to come back and update this. It turned out that the bracket itself did require some clearancing to prevent the new pulley from rubbing. Not alot, but some. Also, once clearanced, you can re-use those factory "washers" (if I recall correctly).
Otherwise worked out great, no issues so far...will update if anything changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts