Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NA 95' 3000gt (no 4ws)

I tried to flush my power steering system today. Instead I just dumped a quart of old fluid all over my garage floor (fun!)

Does anyone have a simple, clean procedure to flush the system?

I tried using the service manual but it didn't go as expected. Here are the (failing) steps I took if it helps:
  1. Jacked up the front of the car.
  2. located the power steering pump.
  3. followed the non-pressurized line from the pump to the reservoir. (I though this was the return line... it wasn't)
  4. pulled the line off the side of the reservoir, attached my purge tube to the "what I thought was the return line".
  5. Had the girlfriend turn the wheel (wheels off the ground, engine not running)
  6. fluid comes spilling out of the fitting connected to the reservoir all over the engine bay (fun!)
  7. plug the line back it and re-look at the service manual
  8. see that the return line is on the bottom of the reservoir not the side 馃槨
  9. unplug the bottom line, fluid comes spilling out of the bottom of the reservoir (fun!)
  10. re-plug the line into the reservoir, fill the lost fluid and reprime the system.
  11. Cleanup my large and smelly mess from both the engine bay and floor (fun!)
  12. Drink beer and go to 3si.org
Here are the pictures I used. I'm sure they are accurate but they are unfortunately pretty vague.

Any Help is much appreciated!

FINAL NOTES (Done): I would not do this again and would pay mechanic shop if their price was right. I'm sure a mechanic shop would have specially designed equipment for this job to make it easy and clean. The only catch is that they could be lazy and only change the fluid in your reservoir and not flush the entire system.

You need:
  • a long rubber tube (clear is better),
  • A way to seal the bottom fitting.
  • 3 quarts of ATF,
  • jack
  • big funnel
  • A bucket to catch oil,
  • pliers
  • rags
  • kitty litter to clean oil
  • water hose with a gun
This is the best advice I can give:
  1. jack the front of the car up
  2. Put a bucket under the reservoir
  3. Disconnect the very bottom line from the power steering reservoir with pliers
  4. seal the bottom fitting on the reservoir as fast as possible, you should be able to catch most of the oil in the bucket but some oil will cling to the sub frame and other stuff beneath it and drip elsewhere (in my experience)
  5. connect a long tube to the return tube you just disconnected from the reservoir and put the other end in the bucket under the car, you may want to secure this line into the bucket with tape or vice grips. when we run the pump it will come out with a good amount of pressure.
  6. put the funnel in the reservoir and put a bunch of ATF in it
  7. let the engine run for 3 seconds and shut off
  8. check the fluid level of the reservoir, you don't want it to pull air into the system, add more if low
  9. repeat 7 and 8 for 2 quarts of ATF
  10. The clear line should show all clean fluid now (red/pink)
  11. remove your clear hose from the return line
  12. try your best to re secure the return line to the reservoir as fast as possible, you will loose ATF because the reservoir will be draining threw the bottom fitting.
  13. top off fluid
  14. lower car (dont forget about your bucket)
  15. run car for like 30 seconds, if you hear a bad noise it means you need more fluid in the reservoir
  16. now with the car running go all left and all right with the wheel a few times. then recheck the level
  17. top off the fluid and your done.
I ended up disconnecting the battery and using a hose to wash out all the spilt fluid in that area of the engine bay. Do this at your own risk it can be a very expensive mistake, make sure you don't spray any electrical stuff at all. I felt it was important to try my best to clean any fluid that was on the drivebelt and lower suspension stuff. I don't know if ATF will eat at paint and rubber but I did not want to find out. I then used rags to clean further. I then used kitty litter to clean up any other oil on the floor.

Hopefully this will help someone sometime!

SDSU Alumnus
Damn lmao. I want to see pictures of the mess!

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

Registered
Here's the method I've used before. It's not specific to our vehicle but I've done it on my other vehicles with good success. Having a hose pincher does wonders also.

Pincher I use:
amzn

Method:

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking this is the method
  1. Empty the reservoir
  2. Unplug the bottom line, plug the metal fitting.
  3. Refill the reservoir
  4. Connect purge hose to return line
  5. Wheel back and forth engine on and off (keep eye on fluid in reservoir) until fluid in purge line is clean.
  6. Reassemble
OR (lazy method)
  1. empty reservoir
  2. Refill reservoir (clean fluid)
  3. Drive a day or two
  4. Repeat until fluid emptied is clean

Registered
Sounds like you just need to pinch the lines then? Did not see that mentioned previously. Your steps should be 2, 4, 5, 3, continuing until clean, then lastly 6. Skip step 1.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
FINAL NOTES (Done): I would not do this again and would pay mechanic shop if their price was right. I'm sure a mechanic shop would have specially designed equipment for this job to make it easy and clean. The only catch is that they could be lazy and only change the fluid in your reservoir and not flush the entire system.

You need:
  • a long rubber tube (clear is better),
  • A way to seal the bottom fitting.
  • 3 quarts of ATF,
  • jack
  • big funnel
  • A bucket to catch oil,
  • pliers
  • rags
  • kitty litter to clean oil
  • water hose with a gun
This is the best advice I can give:
  1. jack the front of the car up
  2. Put a bucket under the reservoir
  3. Disconnect the very bottom line from the power steering reservoir with pliers
  4. seal the bottom fitting on the reservoir as fast as possible, you should be able to catch most of the oil in the bucket but some oil will cling to the sub frame and other stuff beneath it and drip elsewhere (in my experience)
  5. connect a long tube to the return tube you just disconnected from the reservoir and put the other end in the bucket under the car, you may want to secure this line into the bucket with tape or vice grips. when we run the pump it will come out with a good amount of pressure.
  6. put the funnel in the reservoir and put a bunch of ATF in it
  7. let the engine run for 3 seconds and shut off
  8. check the fluid level of the reservoir, you don't want it to pull air into the system, add more if low
  9. repeat 7 and 8 for 2 quarts of ATF
  10. The clear line should show all clean fluid now (red/pink)
  11. remove your clear hose from the return line
  12. try your best to re secure the return line to the reservoir as fast as possible, you will loose ATF because the reservoir will be draining threw the bottom fitting.
  13. top off fluid
  14. lower car (dont forget about your bucket)
  15. run car for like 30 seconds, if you hear a bad noise it means you need more fluid in the reservoir
  16. now with the car running go all left and all right with the wheel a few times. then recheck the level
  17. top off the fluid and your done.
I ended up disconnecting the battery and using a hose to wash out all the spilt fluid in that area of the engine bay. Do this at your own risk it can be a very expensive mistake, make sure you don't spray any electrical stuff at all. I felt it was important to try my best to clean any fluid that was on the drivebelt and lower suspension stuff. I don't know if ATF will eat at paint and rubber but I did not want to find out. I then used rags to clean further. I then used kitty litter to clean up any other oil on the floor.

Hopefully this will help someone sometime!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts