Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
mmm.. caffeine
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing some information on what the best way to supply this system with power.

The system is in a Chevy Tahoe. :rolleyes:

Existing:
4 12" subs
400 watt amp

Ok, the plan is to put a Dell Optiplex with a 200mhz Pentium and one of those printer port LCDs in to play MP3s. The problem is the battery and alternator cannot seem to handle the load. A power inverter is being used connected directly to the battery. I believe it is at 300 watts. Is there a way to do this without needing another alternator? Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Someone who might know

[email protected]
[email protected]

You might talk to a stereo shop, they usually sell a unit that you can install in line with your amp that stores up power like a resivoir would, and then releases when you need it. So there is not such a load on the battery all at once.
Capacitors are used in several different ways in electronic circuits:

Sometimes capacitors are used to store charge for high-speed use. That's what a flash does. Big lasers use this technique as well to get very bright, instantaneous flashes.
Capacitors can also eliminate ripples. If a line carrying DC voltage has ripples or spikes in it, a big capacitor can even out the voltage by absorbing the peaks and filling in the valleys.
A capacitor can block DC voltage. If you hook a small capacitor to a battery, then no current will flow between the poles of the battery once the capacitor charges (which is instantaneous if the capacitor is small). However, any alternating current signal flows through a capacitor unimpeded. That's because the capacitor will charge and discharge as the alternating current fluctuates, making it appear that the alternating current is flowing.

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/LITLB10

<a href="http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/LITLB10">
</a>

·
Registered
209 Posts
i havent got a system in my vr4 yet....but i would think that your car should handle a 400watt amp and an inverter without a problem....i mean i ran a 1000 watt amp on a stock camaro(i know completely different cars) but still......is this normal?cause if it is im in trouble....im planning on running a 4 channel amp(probably alpine) plus a mono or two channel for subs.....plus the computer im putting in for mp3s and gps......also if anyones looking for more info on doing this check out www.mp3car.com for some nice examples and some help

joey

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I don't think there is any alternative to using an inverter for the computer system. It has to take 120V and turn it into +-12V and +-5V for all the computer components. Make sure you have good Caps, and if need be, upgrade the alternator and battery. That should solve the problem, but try some good caps first.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The cleanest solution is a DC-DC converter, not an inverter+ATX power supply.

Going through an inverter to 120VAC wastes some power, and then going through a PS wastes even more (probably a total of ~30% wasted). For a 300W computer, that could mean the equivalent of a 100W bulb in the back of your car.

Your car already has 12-14V of DC power. Sadly it's unregulated (very very noisy) so you need some kind of voltage regulator to clean it up and convert to the voltages you want.

If you've got an electronics wizard friend, ask them if they have any ideas. A local electronics surplus store probably also has some smart people that might be able to help you out.

good luck,
-bk2w

1 - 5 of 5 Posts