Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Looks Fast, gets looks.
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am planning on puttin my car away for the winter next weekend. I am looking at powdercoating my valve cover a medium to dark blue. Im curious if anybody on the board does this and how much it will cost?

Also i want to polish my plenum to a chrome like finish. So if anyone knows how to do this and can explain it too me or maybe if someone can do it for a descent price!!!!! Or maybe someone knows somebody on this board that does either or both and can let me know who it is, that would be great.....

Thanks alot guys.
Ryan

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I'm having Dave Best complete the work on mine car . I know others do polishing and powdercoating but for my money it had to be Dave. I'll post as soon as I get my plenum, valve cover, and spark plug cover back.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I can help you out if you are interested.

I charge $145 to polish the plenum and I'll powder coat any color you'd like, as long as I can get that color powder from the Eastwood Company, around the letters, then I polish off the letters. Take a look at my web page for an example of the way I did it on my plenum.

And I charge $50 to powder coat a valve cover, with that I polish off the lettering. Again I get my powder from the Eastwood Company and if they have a color you want, just let me know a week or two a head of time so I'll have the color you want on hand by the time I get your parts.

If you are interested just let me know.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Dave's the Best!

Dave powder coated my Plenum and Valve Cover and everyone still raves about it - I chose bright red and it is almost a perfect match to the Firestorm/Caracas red of my VR-4. His prices can't be beat and his quality is outstanding - just check the buyer/seller forum.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
For comparison shopping, I sanded all the original paint off of my lawnmower (push, not riding) and had some local paint shop powder coat it for $20. Four years later, it's holding up just fine.

·
Looks Fast, gets looks.
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
? for U

Like i said im plannin on taking my plenum off to get it polished. Only one problem. Im not exactly sure how to do that. Is there any sensors or anything like that i need to mess with to get it off? And another thing is do you take off just the top part of the plenum or the whole thing. It looks like there may be to sections to the plenum. OH ya are there any gaskets in the plenum? ( Im not to familiar with it) I know for the valve cover there would be. But thanks a lot guys. And if anyone has an answer for me i thank you in advance.

Thanks
Ryan

·
High Boozemaster
1,600 Posts
you will need a gasket for the throttle body to plenum, plenum to lower intake maifold, egr valve, and egr pipe gaskets. this is for a turbo so it might be different for you car(non-turbo,right?). you dont have to mess with any sensors or anything like that. and you only need to take "the top part" off, not the lower intake.

taking the plenum off is easy, just label all the bolts so you know where to put them back

·
Looks Fast, gets looks.
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, mitsu3kgt311

Ya its a non turbo model:(

Anyone know about how much the gaskets and that will cost. Cause id like to keep the price down.

Anyone else out there have pics of there powder coating or polishing????

Id like to see some before i decide to get it done. Although ill probably do it anyway id like to see some if anyones got some pics. Thanks a lot guys.

Later
Ryan:cool:

·
High Boozemaster
1,600 Posts
ok, i think the plenum to lower intake gasket is aroiund $10, the other 3 are like $2 or $3 each. but again this is for a turbo but they should be about the same.

my pics came out bad but Brainfood's & John Monnin's plenums came out really good, do a search for them and see thiers

·
Registered
311 Posts
Has anyone polished the valve cover for the SOHC yet? Just curious how one would go about doing that since the texture is different than that of the DOHCs. What is the cost of purchasing the tools and supplies needed to polish the Intake plennum? :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts