Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Sumitomo HTR Z III

Votes: 5 55.6%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm about to buy some rims and i'm looking for a good tire that won't break the bank. i've narrowed my choices down to these 2. i don't like kumho's, michelins, perellis, or yokohamas. i've tried them all and they don't do anything for me. I have personal experience with the bridgestone RE 750, and i believe the 760s are their successor. i loved the 750's. i have no experience with sumitomo's. any personal experience you have would be helpful.

right now, i'm on the fence. the 760's look to be the better performing tire, but the sumitomo's are definitely a lot cheaper and aren't too far off mark from the 760's. i drive spiritedly, but not often. i'm not looking for an autox tire or anything extreme.

thanks!
Tri

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
I'd recommend the 760's. Great highway/cruise tire. Not so great traction compared to NT-05's or * Specs or whatever, but for you, they don't much matter. I've never driven the 760, but I've had a ride in a car with them. I loved the 750s, they were great too.

If you don't mind, what's the price difference? It may be worth going to the Sumitomo's, they're not bad.

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the sumitomos are 119 each and the bridgestones are 157 each. $38 difference/tire = $152 savings going with the sumitomos. the one thing i don't know is if the sumitomos can last as long as the bridgestones. sumitomos have a 300 tread rating and bridgestones have 340.

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm, looks like the sumitomos are also 4lbs lighter than the bridgestones. i think i'm leaning towards the sumitomos at this point.

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there's a local member who had them and liked them on his vr4. i'll give them a shot :) it's a big enough price difference to try them out. also just read a really good review on them from a guy that took them to a road course.

Right Foot Down Sumitomo HTR ZIII Track Test - Part 2

most reviews are pretty favorable on them, with the exception of the mustang crowd. however those guys don't like them because they don't hook up very well. awd makes that problem nonexistent.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Sumitomo makes great tires for the price, I run HTR II on my SSR's(see sig). I had them before, great grip and very quiet. Currently for sale along with the rims BTW

·
Banned
1,764 Posts
I was going to recc a Nankang NS-1. It has way more grip same treadwear and is quieter than both. The cost is about $90 per tire..

·
Registered
91 Posts
the Sumitomo tires seemed to wear really fast, and have a lot of noise. Also are narrow for the size in my experiences. also they spun like crazy on the back of my cobra compared to any other tire I've ever had on there.

Cooper sports are really good tires for the $$ if you can find em in the right size... I prefer bfgoodrich over all of em.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have the Sumitomo's on my VR4. I love them. They are cheaper than most tires and outperform ones costing twice as much. Just read the reviews on Tirerack.com. Owner reviews are very high with these tires. They may not be the best, but for the price you can't beat them. Oh, I am sorry, but Nankang tires are junk. My buddy had them on his Evo and they chunked apart after a year of normal driving. I see alot of people have these due to the "cool" looking tread, which doesn't mean much in my book. Alot of times with tires you pay for what you get. These are my second set of Sumitomo's. I haven't heard much about the 760's. They weren't even on my short list of choices. If you have the money though, I would go with the Nitto NT05's. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the Sumitomo tires seemed to wear really fast, and have a lot of noise. Also are narrow for the size in my experiences. also they spun like crazy on the back of my cobra compared to any other tire I've ever had on there.

Cooper sports are really good tires for the $$ if you can find em in the right size... I prefer bfgoodrich over all of em.
did you have did you have the HTR Z II or III? did you try them on your vr4? i did read on the mustang forums that they wear pretty badly on mustangs, but awd tends to be better on tire wear.

i also agree on the nankangs. i've always heard horror stories on them and had a friend also try them out on his SL. they didn't last very long.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,129 Posts
i had those sumitomo's and i LOVED them, i've heard those potenza's are extremely stiff and jarring. ride comfort and quality is sacrificed quite a lot. not recommended for a DD.

and yes, unfortunately, they do wear a little quicker than most tires. but i'd buy them again for sure...

·
Thread Hijacker
2,129 Posts
as long as they don't wear out every 10k, i'll be happy.
no, of course not, you'll be good for at least 30,000 depending on driving style.

mine lasted 37,3XX miles, keep in mind, i drive conservatively. my grandmother drives faster than me... honestly.

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sounds good. i'd be happy with 30k. my old potenza went to 35k and gripped great until there was no tread left.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,129 Posts
glad i could help... ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts