Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Chief Exec.
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'll start it off. I thought I was gods gift to wiring 20 years ago in my teens. When purchasing the VLS kit I just cut the wires and used black tape🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️. 20 years later as I'm trying to figure out why my windows stopped working and why my battery sparks like thors hammer when connecting the positive side I finally find what it was I did. Lol. To make matters worse I had also removed the harness bolts so I could use the holes for my speaker wires to go through to the cabin. So this whole time I was ripping the wires EVERYTIME I would open and closed the doors. Lol Can anyone top this?

·
Obsessive Carpolsive
2,114 Posts
It's pretty ironic. I'm re-doing all of my wiring harness and came across the most insane solder job with a 1GA wire I did 10 years ago. I'm too ashamed to post a picture! You are not alone!! hahaha

Reactions: Maw138 and DRIFTIR

·
Chief Exec.
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's pretty ironic. I'm re-doing all of my wiring harness and came across the most insane solder job with a 1GA wire I did 10 years ago. I'm too ashamed to post a picture! You are not alone!! hahaha
Holy cow..hahaha

·
Registered
169 Posts
The good thing about being young and dumb is that you don't know what you don't know. Thinking back, first car, first mod? it always seems to be your friends who encourage you to do dumb things.
My suspension was a bit bouncy.
Cheap fix, pull the shocks apart and drain and refill with thicker oil.
Sounds like a good plan.
Mid 60s English Ford, Struts on the front, lever arm shocks on the back.
Thick oil, it was gear oil, the usual 80/90 grade.
It's thick when it's cold but gets quite thin when warmed up.
Rock solid suspension when cold, bouncy when hot after a few miles.
I lowered it too by cutting the front coils, then it bottomed out over the bumps, scraped the exhaust on the road and left sparks.
Luckily the girls in 1977 were about half the weight they are these days

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hahahahahahahahahahaha
This was a 1972 Maverick. Well to redeem myself, we stripped it down to bare metal and used Imron aircraft enamel (red) and did white stripes, aka Starsky and Hutch style. You couldn't scratch that stuff with a nail if you tried. Then we put side pipes from a 1967 Corvette on it, lowered and highly stiffened the front suspension and used Anson aluminum wheels. I ran blue streak racing tires until "the man" objected to them during a traffic stop.

Car wound up on the local news after doing a Muscular dystrophy car show. That's also the car I got to do 4 laps around Indy in in 1978.

·
Chief Exec.
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The good thing about being young and dumb is that you don't know what you don't know. Thinking back, first car, first mod? it always seems to be your friends who encourage you to do dumb things.
Sounds like a good plan.
I lowered it too by cutting the front coils, then it bottomed out over the bumps, scraped the exhaust on the road and left sparks.
Hahahahahaha

·
Money pit owner.
2,785 Posts
not so much a mod as it was a lesson learned...

I replaced the drum brakes on my first car and I wanted to test the system. So, with the wheel and drum off, I climbed in the car and stomped the brake pedal...

it made quite a mess in my garage after the wheel cylinder sprayed brake fluid and brake parts all over the floor. :(

Reactions: DRIFTIR

·
Registered
573 Posts
not so much a mod as it was a lesson learned...

I replaced the drum brakes on my first car and I wanted to test the system. So, with the wheel and drum off, I climbed in the car and stomped the brake pedal...

it made quite a mess in my garage after the wheel cylinder sprayed brake fluid and brake parts all over the floor. :(
Yikes! Learning mistakes are the worst.

Got another one. The day I picked up the Kit Car, went to Ramchargers and bought a B&M shift kit. Took the pan and plate off without reading the manual and a ball bearing drops out and rolls off somewhere in the garage. Wound up taking apart my bike and used a bearing from the pedals. Got lucky, worked great, spun the tires through all shift

·
?Mark
16,688 Posts
Innovate wideband, biggest piece of crap ever. and they had a forum on their website and everybody said it.

Reactions: DRIFTIR

·
Chief Exec.
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like a good plan.
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
I'm a Member
9,701 Posts
Sort of related... and I've Kept most of it, I regret throwing any of the OEM stuff anytime I changed anything... if I had my time again I'd ensure that I kept every single thing..

about all I've thrown were the original wheels (chrome 18's) and the transformer for the stupid sail window lights

1 - 14 of 14 Posts