Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Professional Tool
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever ported and polished thier own heads vs. taking it somewhere and getting it done? Me and my friend were looking at some tools that would allow us to port and polish our own heads. I didnt think it was a bad idea, didnt sound to hard either.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well im going to a machine shop tomorrow to talk to the guy. ( Im pulling my engine Wed.) I can find out th basic cost for you guys and post it but i dont think he will know the exact hp gain.

Wolff

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I don't think there is an actual dyno number from a port/polish modification.

It's not really doing that much per se. It just increases the size of the intake piping and smoothes out the exhaust piping.

If anything, I would imagine that it is very minimal and I won't even throw a number out there as I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I dont think your going to see any noticable gains.

As a matter of fact I am going to suggest you leave the head alone. More than likely you or whoever does the porting will make it worse.

I hear the heads flow very good stock, maybe gasket matching would help some. But dont butcher up your head.

Also cams would help more and are less than 400 dollars. That will be your biggest gain, along with some springs and retainers and some ecu modification you could rev up an extra 1000 rpm.

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
I'll second the "leave them alone" argument. These heads are capable of more than enough flow for even a hella-modified w/ forced induction motor. Spend the time and money trying to port the throttle body/intake, and the exhaust manifolds. You'll get more for your time and money there.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I was reading somewhere that had a diy intake, drew does your father do any sheet metal fabrication?

I bigger intake, cams, and a high rev valve train is bound to take your car to another level.

You would need 6 mandrel bent pipes and posibbly a flange made for the 6 intake ports.

Anyways this stuff would me more strip than street.

I am anxious to see what 3kgt's project na does this month. They are supposed to run on the 15th.

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Yes, my dad runs a fab shop and can build anything from any type of metal. They usually stick to large contracts, but employees occasionally take on small side projects on an independant basis. I think our intake setups are fine for the current and near-future output of our engines.

I didn't know anything about the "project n/a"... what are the details?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts