Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pivot Variable Pop-Up Headlight Controller - Mitsubishi 3000GT / Dodge Stealth

I am trying to get something to this without spending 120 bucks. There has to be a way. Ive been searching around with no luck yet and Id love it if there was a mod or something. I dont wanna take apart the switch tryin to figure it out and break something.

Honestly, the product on 3sx site looks like a rheostat or something that just adjusts the voltage sent to the headlights, therefore stopping the headlights at a certain point. Anyone have one of these things or have you guys found a secret way that doesnt cost as much as that.

· 4G63 swap initiated
9,322 Posts
find a schematic and build one :p

· Lat 42 Performance
1,159 Posts
just pull the headlight motor fuse and adjust them manually with the knobs. The sealed beam in the housing stays vertical regardless of the headlight position, so if you just put them up half way you can still see fine. I've had mine half way up for about a year now, everyone at my work thinks my car looks stoned so they call it the chronic car.

· Registered
681 Posts
just pull the headlight motor fuse and adjust them manually with the knobs. The sealed beam in the housing stays vertical regardless of the headlight position, so if you just put them up half way you can still see fine. I've had mine half way up for about a year now, everyone at my work thinks my car looks stoned so they call it the chronic car.
yeah.... having you're lights halfway up all the time seems kinda.... cheap. I always laugh at people who have their headlights stuck up b/c they're too stupid to fix it.

I would rather have them only go halfway up on my own control. By just flicking the headlight knob.

If you can figure something out like that thing on 3sx, that would be amazing. 120 dollars for something soo small, just seems ridiculous.

· Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Ive been messing around with the headlights for a few hours now. If I put them up, and manually adjust them using the knobs just toward the center of the car from each headlight, I can get them to stay halfway up, but only until I put them down again. They automatically return to thier fullup position.

If I cut the little vertical rod/strip of metal, then tack weld it I can most likely get them to stay in the position I want. Downside is its not reversible and if its not even it would look like shit. IDEA SCRAPPED.

I was looking on a rx8 forum, and I saw they open the motor and restrict the rotation of the motor. I was thinking about it, and I would assume this will eventually burn your motors out since its being restricted and the motor is still trying to open your headlights all the way. IDEA SCRAPPED.

I will keep at it and let you know what I end up doing.

I would rather have them only go halfway up on my own control. By just flicking the headlight knob.
This is not the first time I read this. What do you mean flicking it to keep em halfway up? I think I read before someone turns the headlight knob halfway between parking lights and headlights up and they go halfway up? I dont believe nor can I get this to happen.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
You can do it for free just by toying with the switch and making the headlights "think" they're up.
1. Just put the switch all the way forward so the headlights are up
2. Pull the switch to parking lights and the second they start going down quickly turn the switch between parking lights and headlights. They should stop halfway.
3. repeat # 2 and they'll stop again but this time u can put the switch all the way to headlights and theyll stay halfway for however long you want.

I just keep twisting the switch until i get the height i want, then i just put the switch on headlights and im good to go. To make them go back down, just turn the parking lights back on, or turn the headlights off.

· Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cant get them to stay using the switch like you mentioned.

I put the lights up.
Turn the switch to parking lights, as soon as they move, i put it back to up, they just open all the way. If I put it halfway between parking and up and they just go up.

I have a feeling if I keep trying this they eventually wont even come up anymore.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Well it works for me. If i run into another 1st gen around here from 3si, i'll attempt tp try it on theirs, if im allowed to lol

· Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are the manual adjustment knobs for? just to check clearances? to put down your lights if ur battery is dead?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.