Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

what issue of Popular Mechanics was that article on the world's fastest production cars ?? the one where the 3KGT-VR4 is rated 10th...
any idea if i can get that issue still ?

thanks
-Alex

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
3,802 Posts
It shows the 3000 to be faster than the Camaro SS, but Camaro is 9, and we're 10. Unless it's just too early in the morning for me to be looking at this.
Player

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
I really got a kick out of the series of pictures of the different cars. Most of them are puttin on a smoke show to no end. Those that aren't haven't hit the gas yet. 'Cept for the VR-4. You can tell they're all over the gas cuz of the ass end digging a trench back there and all 4 throwing the car off the line.

EricB

·
Registered
317 Posts
for educatonal purposes only:
Here is what they say about the VR4 #10 on the list for those who don't have time to go to the page (Your going to love the last line):

"Putting the power to the pavement is the name of the acceleration game. The Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 has 320 hp, much less than the
Jag and Lightning, and the same power rating as the Mustang Cobra. So what gives the Mitsubishi the advantage over them?
Traction.

This is the only all-wheel-drive car in this test. That means no wheelspin. Launching the Mitsubishi is so simple, it's like flying into outer space–even a monkey can do it. Just tach up the DOHC twin-turbocharged V6 up near its 6000 rpm power peak and drop that clutch. Granted, this isn't the best thing for the car's durability, but it sure gets this 2+2 off the line like a slingshot. All four 18-in. tires dig in, the 3000GT squats like Mike Piazza, and you are gone.

Don't expect any rubber when you throw gears, either. Tire slip in this car is harder to come by than a date with Pamela Anderson.
Shifter action and clutch takeup could be a bit smoother, so quick gear changes aren't easy. But the V6's surprising amount of
low-end torque really gets the heavy Mitsubishi going. And the motor pulls right up to its 7000 rpm redline.
One thing missing from the Mitsubishi's stellar performance: the right sounds. Its hair dryer exhaust note just doesn't cut it."

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
I like the look of that picture, but I never knew we had that much play in the rear suspension... I am definately going with KYB adjustable, or something similar! Still guys... with an EBC and a K&N he would have done much better.... Sigh... too bad that wasn't available from the factory... then we might have scored higher!!!!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Darn just .02s slower than the Camaro and .05s slower the Benz... wish PopMech did a score based on the on the combo of 0-30, 0-60 and 1/4 mile would have placed a lot higher... hmm maybe if they tore off that giant wing we would have placed 8th... just so fractionaly small amount of time puts us so far back...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes close and further back we are, but you have to keep in mind that our cars are "underbuilt" (like the Supra is as well) compared to the others. Safely run 14PSI instead of 12.5PSI and use a better (flow) exhaust and air intake filter and the car would still be as reliable as stock if not more efficient, also pull in a good high 12sec. e.t. Just my view gathered on some facts.

BTW, that's something the majority of the Vette forum members have trouble with comprehending.. a car being underbuilt for it's power.

Mario 94 VR-4

[This message has been edited by VR-4 Tissimo (edited December 11, 1999).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts