Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mod O' Day Pron
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question guys. Those who know me, know I work on these cars. But, right now, I'm just a little jittered, cause something happened to my father on the way home from work this afternoon, so any help would be greatly appriciated.

My Opinion.....

-Rear transfer case seized up.

What happened to the best of my knowledge.....

-Traveling down a local highway at 70 mph, dad felt a little drop in power will cruising at 70 mph. It happened twice within 4 or so seconds,

-He turned off the radio, and as soon as he let off the accelerator, the rear end locked up, and the car went into a spin. A 360 then slid down the road about 60/70 feet sideways before coming to a stop.

-Front wheels work, car turns on fine, etc... rear is locked up. He heard a loud shutter/boom, a second before the rear end locked up.

Am I accurate in what I think the problem may be? Dad isn't a member of 3SI , but makes it to our Gatherings & Races and is a has owned 2 3000 VR4's. I would like to fix it for him as a Christmas present, any other ideas of what mat be wrong. Thanks! :(

Sean

·
Registered
844 Posts
I don't know much about cars so I won't even make a guess. But most importantly though, is your dad okay? If he is okay, then that was your Christmas present from the Man upstairs!:)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I know that the T-Cases in the eclipses would lock up and seize the rear wheels but I've never heard of a VR-4 doing it, I guess it's possible tho. I've watched my frined in his Talon AWD lose it cause hidd T-Case went out on him... I've seen lots of blown VR-4 T-Cases at work (mitsu service) and I've never heard a customer complain that the wheels locked. actually it was the opposite, the rear wheels would just turn, there was no power going to them. Usually a bad output shaft on the tranny and a bad mating gear ont he T-case side. Something more catostrophic must have happened inside the tcase or tranny to get it to do that, but I can allmost guarentee you'll need to replace both. Good luck and I'm glad everyone is ok.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
From that description it sounds like transmission, transfer case, driveshaft, and rear end. You're looking at $6-9k easily.

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
I think Stealthy 3000GT's TC completely locked up on him several months ago.. Glad to here your pops is ok!

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
The differential or the TFC has locked up on several people while going down the freeway. I can't recall who but somone has a thread going on about this. And where to send the complaint.

I bet if you had enough money and you got hurt from this you could get a lawsuit from Mitsubishi.

After all only what 80 people died from those Firestone tires and there was probably 10million of those tires made and only 80 went bad and killed people and that was a pretty low avg. Think of the percentage of transmissions, TFC, differential locking up and people getting hurt is probably a lot higher.

-Jeff

·
Mod O' Day Pron
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Point Mattyboy

I forgot to mention. Dad didn't get hurt, just a little shaken up. Your right though, Christmas present is, that no one got hurt. He's had a VR4 since 91, and I know he doesn't want to trash it, so I really want to fix it for him. His company has offered to pay for parts, and it's up to me and a friend of mine to fix it. Shouldn't be incrediblely hard. By the time the tow truck arrived, it was too dark out to see anything. Gonna have to wait till this weekend. :( Thanks for the input guys, I appriciate it :) I will keep everyone informed on the evaluation of what's wrong with the car. SHE SHALL RUN AGAIN ;)

Sean

·
Drives 2003 COBRA 435rwhp
502 Posts
well you know what I think

I told you when we 1st spoke I thought it was the transfer case but like someone said earlier it is odd that it would lock the rear and just not let it freespin. I can contact a few pple about it tomorrow morning just call and remind me. Also, I fear what else it would have screwed up. We need to get that phone number that Darktrail was speaking about. When I call Rice tomorrow I will ask my friend over there if he knows it he will tell me. Needless to say I will let you know-Hell of a time for McGrath to be out of town did you try his cell phone?? I am suprised you did not just tow it to the shop He would have come and Said to himself What the Hell?? Would have been too funny for words.

·
Mod O' Day Pron
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ItalianStealth

Hey man. I call you this afternoon. I can tell you this, he's going to need new back tires. He must have slid sideways a good 70/80 feet. A nice big flat spot. There are to many cars at the shop right now, and John is out of town for 2 weeks. I figure I'll take a look at it this weekend. I could get use to having 2 VR4's sitting in the driveway. :D

Sean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts