Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. My popup sunroof has been an ongoing issue. I do not think it is the stock mechanism/window as the thing constantly squeaks and does not seal completely at highway speeds (resulting in a very annoying whistle). I enjoy the sunroof on fun weekends drives but on long highway drives it can get pretty bright and hot. Is there an option to delete the sunroof for a painted panel? Or, is the best option to throw a darker tint on the glass?

I even sometimes tape a paper bag cutout to the inside to keep the sun at bay. I tried cleaning the greasing the weatherstip seal to stop the whistling with no luck and ended up throwing a strip of black duck tape on the exterior seal. While these big brain innovations work they are not ideal 馃槀

Keep'n 'em spooled
No replacement painted panels, you would have to custom make one. There is a removable interior cover for the moonroof. They don't come up for sale very often, so you have to keep an eye out for them. I believe the seal on the glass itself is still available from Mitsu dealers. Sounds like your issue with wind noise is fitment. I'm not sure how you would adjust it other than bending the front two mounting tabs.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
No replacement painted panels, you would have to custom make one. There is a removable interior cover for the moonroof. They don't come up for sale very often, so you have to keep an eye out for them. I believe the seal on the glass itself is still available from Mitsu dealers. Sounds like your issue with wind noise is fitment. I'm not sure how you would adjust it other than bending the front two mounting tabs.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah my "mounting tabs" are made of plastic and are very brittle. I think the aftermarket roof probably once sealed correctly but that years of heat have stretched the plastic.

Is the removable interior cover similar to a windshield sun guard? (the thing you put up against your windshield when you leave your car parked and don't want the dash getting super hot)

Keep'n 'em spooled
. . . Is the removable interior cover similar to a windshield sun guard? (the thing you put up against your windshield when you leave your car parked and don't want the dash getting super hot)
Edited: He has a non oem moonroof (pics of oem interior cover deleted)

(Originally: No, it is a rigid panel covered in fabric like the headliner. It mounts to the moonroof glass at 4 points - it slides into two tabs at the front and is secured with two quarter turn knobs at the rear. Attached are some pics. You can see the 4 mounting points on the glass in the pic without the cover in place.)

Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
I could be wrong, but his "aftermarket" sunroof is probably not even close in size to a stock one, rendering a stock cover useless.
I've seen hundreds of our cars, but I've never seen one with an aftermarket sunroof that "appealed" to me...
Sorry,

Bob.

Registered
If i had one, I would wrap the outside the same color as the car. It would look like you did not have one, and it would cool when popped up. I would HATE it being see through. When I had 300zx cars, I always had my t top shades in, I tried it like twice with them off, and hated it soo much. Same with my MR2, and it was a total pain to put those shades on. Just go to any wrap shop, they will bring out the colors... find a close color, get the name, order a little piece off ebay, and you are good to go.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
If i had one, I would wrap the outside the same color as the car. It would look like you did not have one, and it would cool when popped up. I would HATE it being see through. When I had 300zx cars, I always had my t top shades in, I tried it like twice with them off, and hated it soo much. Same with my MR2, and it was a total pain to put those shades on. Just go to any wrap shop, they will bring out the colors... find a close color, get the name, order a little piece off ebay, and you are good to go.
Hey I really like this idea. I gotta buddy who wraps cars maybe he has a piece of black that is laying around that would work. I appreciate everyone's response. And while the stock sunroof cover is the best option, OhioSpyderman is right about the dimensions looking different
Thanks 3si!

Keep'n 'em spooled
I could be wrong, but his "aftermarket" sunroof is probably not even close in size to a stock one, rendering a stock cover useless.
I've seen hundreds of our cars, but I've never seen one with an aftermarket sunroof that "appealed" to me...
Sorry,

Bob.
Yeah, my goof, I read too quickly and didn't enlarge the pic he posted, I thought he had a stock moonroof.

Registered
Hey everyone. My popup sunroof has been an ongoing issue. I do not think it is the stock mechanism/window as the thing constantly squeaks and does not seal completely at highway speeds (resulting in a very annoying whistle). I enjoy the sunroof on fun weekends drives but on long highway drives it can get pretty bright and hot. Is there an option to delete the sunroof for a painted panel? Or, is the best option to throw a darker tint on the glass?

I even sometimes tape a paper bag cutout to the inside to keep the sun at bay. I tried cleaning the greasing the weatherstip seal to stop the whistling with no luck and ended up throwing a strip of black duck tape on the exterior seal. While these big brain innovations work they are not ideal 馃槀

Hey there...
I have an original upholstered panel insert for the Stealth R/T moonroof. Looking for at least 420.00 USD. It makes this a lot more quiet, that's for sure.. Let me know if you're interested. Regards!
-Alex

Keep'n 'em spooled
Hey there...
I have an original upholstered panel insert for the Stealth R/T moonroof. Looking for at least 420.00 USD. It makes this a lot more quiet, that's for sure.. Let me know if you're interested. Regards!
-Alex
Won't fit, his moonroof is aftermarket, not oem. I missed that at first too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts