Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have an all stock 95 NA Base 3000gt. I've been driving real spirited the last couple of months and wish the stock exhaust was a bit louder. I enjoy the engine noise but have trouble hearing the engine against the road & wind noise. I am not looking for more performance just for a bit more noise. I don't have money to spend on a $1k exhaust system & don't want the car to be obnoxious or annoying.

Has anyone had any luck removing the muffler in the middle of the car and welding in a straight pipe, while keeping the rear mufflers?
What was the result? Small difference? Big difference?

17,276 Posts
I actually replaced the rear resonator with a glass pack back in the day with my R/T I had and it worked great.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Getting a Test Pipe to remove teh cat will help bring up the volume a little bit as well, there is usually one on ebay for cheap. bolts right in.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Getting a Test Pipe to remove teh cat will help bring up the volume a little bit as well, there is usually one on ebay for cheap. bolts right in.
I am all for going catless on a turbo car but on a NA i would be a little more hesitant if the desire is just for volume increase. This is particular true if the car is a daily due to the smell.

Hi all,
I have an all stock 95 NA Base 3000gt. I've been driving real spirited the last couple of months and wish the stock exhaust was a bit louder. I enjoy the engine noise but have trouble hearing the engine against the road & wind noise. I am not looking for more performance just for a bit more noise. I don't have money to spend on a $1k exhaust system & don't want the car to be obnoxious or annoying.

Has anyone had any luck removing the muffler in the middle of the car and welding in a straight pipe, while keeping the rear mufflers?
What was the result? Small difference? Big difference?
No experience with this specific car doing this, but removing mid-pipe mufflers or resonators is very common and should be pretty cheap and easy from any exhaust shop. I would say go for it. Worse case scenario it is reversible.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
There is still decent power to be picked up by going catless or even highflow cat on a NA - 3SX Did a really nice test of various exhaust modifications and combos on the NAs a few years back.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks everyone for the replies!

I will call my local muffler shop and see how much it would be to remove the mid-pipe muffler. Otherwise, I will go ahead and buy that test-pipe as I don't daily drive the car and don't need to smog the car for another 2 years.

Much Appreciated!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I actually just did this to mine cut behind the flex pipe removing the non monitored cat all the way back to right after the tiny muffler thing before the rear axle. Replaced it with a straight pice of 2-1/4 pipe. I still have the factory cats near the manifold and the stock muffler and it's not much louder but gives it a nice growl when passing people. Mine is a 98 base 3gt

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the input! I think I've decided that when the holidays are over, I am going to remove only the mid-pipe muffler and swap it with a single glass-pack.

I have had good experiences with dual glasspacks on an old big block v8 and I am hoping for a similar result, but not as crazy. I'm hoping that a single glass pack from a smaller engine further from the engine should be a bit less loud than my old car.

I will take a video of before and after to let you all hear the difference.

Does anyone have any input on a glass-pack brand? I have only ever used classic cherry-bombs I picked up from AutoZone for $40ish.

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you are going to keep all the stock cats and the rear mufflers i would just delete the mid muffler completely and replace with straight pipe... should be cheap and easy. With stock headers, stock cats, and stock rear mufflers i can't imagine it being too loud. You might be wasting your time and money swapping in another muffler only to have basically no change.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree if you keep the stock muffler behind the bumper I doubt there will be much if any change by adding the glass pack mid car. If those where gone through I'm curious what it would sound like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts