Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a second VR4, so my wife and I don't fight over the one we have. Found a '92 VR4, 130,000 miles w/ new motor and tranny. Chrome wheels, in good condition. What do you think the car is worth? Any estimates would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My guess would be about 8000. on the low end, 9500 on the high end. I'm wary of cars with "new" anything, so I don't add much more to the value. Others may be more forgiving.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it may be a dealer trade in. That's why they are selling. motor and trans have 23k miles on them.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Scot

here's an Idea.. goto another dealership and look for a car.. just tell them you want to do a trade in.. give them the stats on the VR-4 you want to buy and see what type of money they'll give you.try to get their black book numbers..

see where the dealer got the VR4 from and how long they've had it for.. if its been around for a while you might be able to talk them down to an auction price cause they'll end up putting it on the auction block if they can't sell it. I beleive my 94 RT/TT would fetch about $16K cdn at an auction.. then about $18k cdn from the auction winner to the dealer.. then $20k-$24k cdn from dealer to buyer.. mind you this all a major ripoff (to us..)..

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scot,
I'm in Texas, and I picked up my 91 VR4 earlier this year for $10k from a private owner. It had 83k miles, perfect body, and the 60k service done. I think this was a pretty good deal, but it took me a long time to find it.
Have you tried www.kbb.com ? it will give you a decent blue book estimate.
-David

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
Hey Scot,

Maybe I'm biased (I have a new tranny and engine) but I think that has to raise the value of anything but a new car at least 50%. With 130,000 miles it would probably be about $8,500.00 so I expect it to be worth about $12,750 -- that is of course if there is proof that it has a new engine and tranny AND there is a warranty on that engine. Also, is it a new long block or just a short block. A new short block with stock heads w/ that many miles on them would probably wear out the heads pretty soon. See you around sometime,
Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts