Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

How many N/A's have had bad tranny problems?

• Yeah, big problems, don't these trannies suck!?!!

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • No problems for me!

Votes: 19 40.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 ES, and right after i got it i paid almost $3000 to get the tranny replaced. Now i am SO paranoid that something will happen again. Who has had problems? Are the N/A trannies a little more reliable? Thanks!

·
3,802 Posts
I've had my car for about three years and about a year ago I started getting a funny noise sometimes when it was cooler out and my car was cool. Apparently I have a bearing(sp) going out on the main input shaft going into the tranny and have to get it rebuilt.

·
McStealthless
1,456 Posts
Replaced

The tranny in my car has been replaced twice. Once right before I bought it (with a salvaged unit) and once again about 3 months ago. Even though the trannies are more reliable than the TT cars, there's something to be said for the abuse that the owner dishes out. I know that the people who had the car before me ragged the hell out of the car, which is why before I bought it, there was a hole in the bellhousing.
The salvaged tranny that failed me was pulled apart and found to have debris of all sorts in it, so I'm not surprised that it didn't last, and it was put in before I decided to buy the car, so I had no say in the matter... simply a case of somebody trying to cut corners to sell a car.

·
One Shizz-rippin' M F
3,554 Posts
my tranny (N/A) has 100k and has failed once. The nut on the top of the input shaft stripped. Total cost of fix: $5.25 part from dealer. from what I have heard n/a transmissions are more relible and are definitely a hell of a lot cheaper to fix.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just had mine rebuilt with 93K on the clock. Busted pins, carrier and 2,4 forks. Part of it is my fault though, I ignored the 5th gear wiggle problem for too long. It eventually busted a hole in the outer cover, lost all my fluid and Lord knows how long i was driving w/ no tranny fluid. I think it had something to do with it...

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
I think the tranny's on the NA are pretty strong, they hold up to some good horsepower amounts on the Turbo DSMs...

Most of the tranny failure/problems come from driver abuse I think...

·
3,802 Posts
Mines a Manual, and the dealer told me that the bearing going out had nothing to do with the way I drove it and that it's just something that can happen.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we are talking about manuals, and i feel much better. I don't drive mine hard, never speed shift, etc. I have my fun, but i treat it right. Just seeing what everyone else thinks. Manfromrio, the same thing happened to me. all the fluid gone! But i only had the car for like 3 months, so i am blaming that on the last lady!

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Oh. I have 110K miles on my current tranny, and my Stealth had 135K on original tranny when I sold her.

I always suggest using synth in your tranny. The shifting is much better.

In the stealth I used Redline MTL, in the 3000, I had Redline MTL/MT90.

Now I have BG syncroshift, the Redline shifts..... uh... too easy. I like the more solid feel of the BG syncroshift

·
Registered
208 Posts
I bought my car brand new, and have had no problem with it. it's AT. all last week though it was redlining, but no increase in speed/ didn't shift, so I took it to a mechanic and they said that everything is fine, so I hope that it was juat some weird thing, and not a major problem that is going to show up. I think Mitsu NA tranies are not bad, we have a mitsu expo for 7 years and never had a problem with it. (knock on wood for both cars)

·
Premium Member
4,391 Posts
Just bought a new tranny from a wrecker. Mine blew a hole in the case. Mechanic said one of the spider gears blew up. I beat the hell out of my car and with the new tranny was nice for about 2 weeks, now I'm worse with my new clutch. Anyone want to buy my car:D

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've had the car for 3 years. First year, tranny was fine. Second year the syncros went, had it rebuilt. 3rd year (same month one year later mind you) the main carrier bearing gave out and destroyed the casing, no choice but to buy a new tranny. I'm on my fourth year with the car right now, and guess where it is? Sitting in my driveway waiting for me to save up enough cash during the holiday season to have the waterpump replaced...exactly one year after I had the tranny replaced. :( :mad:

·
West Side!
1,201 Posts
I've had my ES for 3 years and the tranny hasn't given me problems until now. 3rd gear syncro is going on it now but it's got 180k miles on the original tranny and I'm pretty hard on it so I'm not suprised. I'll probly take it apart this coming summer and rebuild it myself. Hopefully it'll last till then.
laters,
Gene Crumpler
1992 Stealth ES

·
Old Guy
514 Posts
I have a '92 Stealth 5-speed. I did have a major problem when the car was about 10 months old. The transmission was making a strange grinding sound when I was cruising. The dealer claimed the problem was the clutch and put in a new clutch. After the clutch was finished, the noise was still there so they pulled out the tansmission again. The found it was filled with aluminum shavings but couldn't find anywhere inside the case where the shavings could have come from. They replaced the transmission and I haven' t had a problem since. All of this was under warranty and my car just had it's 9th birthday in my care.

:D

Les
3SI #221

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
I had my manual trans rebuilt before I put it in for the auto-manual swap. I've put 15k VERY VERY hard miles on it without a problem. It's even on the original RPS Stage 2 clutch. It held up fine for the few hours I drove it with the twin turbo engine in it and a bunch of nitrous runs.

Askanni, sounds like you do have an auto trans problem. Have you ever had the fluid changed in it? How many miles are on the car?

·
Here Since 2000
3,707 Posts
Get this!

5-speed

I bought my car with about 85,000 on it. At 106,000 something flew out behind the drivers side differential and through the bellhousing. I dished out$2498 for a brand new tranny from the wisconsin factory. Get it all put in and feel very nice. Break in the new clutch 1000 miles later. excellent. 1500 miles of hard ass driving, a few power shifts it goes out and shoots something out in the same exact spot right behing the drivers side diff. Only this time it didn't go all the way through.

Thank god for the 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty or I would have filled the tranny back up with fluid and drove the damn thing into a ditch a fence and then a tree. And bought a TT with the insurance money.

The whole reason that I didn't get a TT when shopping for cars was because of horror stories I had read when shopping and now you can get a kickass tranny and transfer case from Kormex for about what I spent on a new tranny.

:rolleyes:

·
Lord Master Smacktard
382 Posts
I know I'm asking for a world of hurt, but knock-on-wood, had my 94 R/T for over 4 years without a hitch on the tranny yet. I can just see it going out on my way to work Monday just to spite me.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow! So how much does it cost to rebuild an N/A tranny? So this is the same tranny in the fwd DSM turbos?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts