Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a downpipe and need some help guys!!! 1)Stillen 2)ATR 3)alamosports
4) other
vote for your favorite, and explain why. List any advantages & disadvantages to any of the downpipes that you know about or have. Do all of them rid the system of the front cats, this is what I want. Thank you.

scot '92 VR4

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Depends on $$$

I would say ATR (my choice) for flow and cost. But I would prefer a downpipe that would have replaced both of my precats.

Instead I bought the ATR and gutted the precats.

Mark
'93 RT TT

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
I have the Stillen pipe. It cost $399, but I did not want to ruin the cats, if I needed to put the car back to stock. It eliminates the front pre-cat and rear main cat. Mine was a little tuff to fit right, but it went on with a little prodding. I have two like new cats, that I can always use again (emissions testing/ IF I sell it). The rear pre-cat is left ungutted, and will be replaced by a test-pipe this spring. It makes no difference in my opinion btwn having them in or out on the street. I have no lag with them out, but the power seems the same therefore my launch is much better now. After my dp change, the pipe bangs when I first start the car and sometimes in reverse (prob from engine rocking), but others have told me this is normal for aftermarket DPs. The stillen unit is very good quality with great welds and excellent material. It has a flex section at the end where the main cat would have been. I think another flex section after the front precat like stock would have prevented the knocking.

Sam 95 VR4

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear the DPs without flex sections crack...I know so far that one stealth TT had a crack in it's DP....caused be engine rocking....is this common?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I vote for the ATR .. great price good quality. In speaking of the pre-cats I'd only eliminate BOTH precats as you know they wastegates are actuated at the same time but the behaviour of the turbos change with the precats gone. I therefore would only get the Stillen if the rear precat will be gutted too at the same time.

No, they don't crack at all as there is enough play in the flanges. I've welded in a 2 1/2" flex section into the ATR after the front. This because I wanted to decouple the vibrations from the turbos. You can call this overkill because nothing changed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts