Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Some shmo with N20...
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about polishing...

What would a simpleton like me need to do to polish my intake manifold? Mines not too bad lookin but i wanna make it really shine. What is just the easiest way to do this? What materials do I need etc... Anyone seen any other really good posts on this (that dont have ridiculous tools, materials, or processes)?

Any info would be great... thanks.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I assume you mean your intake plenum, as the intake manifold is hidden, and can only be seen once the plenum is removed. The intake plenum is the aluminum "thing" that sits ontop of the manifold with the 6 runners.

Polishing is a very involved process, and takes a serious amount of time. To polish any piece of metal requires:
1. Die grinder (air powered)
2. Air compressor (to power the grinder)
3. Several assorted attchments (different grits)
4. Quite a few free hours (probably around 8hrs to do plenum)

...or you could just order a polished one from gtpro.com for $225. They also sell polished valve covers for $199.

http://www.gtpro.com/gt_pro_accessories.htm

.jon

·
High Boozemaster
1,600 Posts
no,no,no....

not all of us are fortunate enough to have access to die grinders and air compressors.

i did mine by hand, with a dremil to get in the really small cracks, and took me 25-30 hours. i also did my IC pipes

i used the following grits: 60, 150, 220, 400, 600, & 1500. then i used some metal polish to shine it up after.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I love Dremel tools

:D

·
Some shmo with N20...
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL...?

WTF is a Dremel? (Dremil?)

Im assuming its a tool of some sort but i need a better explanation.

Also, are the grits referring to sand paper?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Dremmel tools are sort of like really fast power drills that don't cost a ton of money, and you can stick all different kinds of cool gizmos on the head, like cutting disks, sand paper cylinders, etching tools, etc........

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Dremel! It's what I'm using to polish my plenum and vavle cover. It's fairly cheap tool- around $20 for a cheap-o brand, up to about $30-60 for a really good Dremel. Then $2-3 per attachment. Then you'll also probably need some sand paper to polish by hand, start with 400, and work your way up to 1500, and then some good metal polisher. It's a great alternative to those who have more time than money. Check out the website: http://www.dremel.com/

·
Registered
856 Posts
I wanna see some pics of the stuff u guys polished with dremmels. Personally I don't think a dremmel is a substitute for a die grinder. Which, by the way, are $20.

[ EDIT: Or so i was told, after some quick looking, i can't find one for under $400 =( ]

You don't have to use 1/5th as many grits to get a mirror finish, its easier, and quicker. Just my $0.02

.jon

[ FINAL EDIT (i swear): http://www.tools-plus.com/ast1206.html ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts