Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Twin 16T
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 vr-4 and was thinking about getting the pocketlogger. Hear is my question......IS IT WORTH IT.. im only 18 and im looking for something that will help me with my tuning. What does the pocketlogger do?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Do a search.

Also, let me tell you, if you plan on doing any real tuning, IT'S WORTH IT.

Without a fuel computer of some sort, I don't know what you'd be able to do with the info you gather, but it's still a good idea.

It will show you the following things and more: Throttle Position, RPM's, O2, voltage, knock, oil temp, engine temp....
The list goes on. If you plan on doing any serious modding, this is a MUST, unless you want to go hang out at one of the few AWD dynos.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm curious, without some sort of fuel controller, can you tune out knock if all you've done is turn up the stock boost? Assume the rest of the car is stock too.

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
3kluv said:
I'm curious, without some sort of fuel controller, can you tune out knock if all you've done is turn up the stock boost? Assume the rest of the car is stock too.
sure you can ... turn the boost down some ;)

·
*Insert Evil Laughter*
3,141 Posts
ahh the perfect post for my question... I JUST now (finally:rolleyes: ) installed my MBC. I get knock around 11psi.. but with my mods I was thinking I would be able to turn that sucker up to maybe 18. So my question is when you turn up the boost is it normal that you should need to add fuel, ie--- do I need to go tweak my A/F computer? I am *hoping* the answer is yes here :)
Show me some love :D

Oh.. and how do you read the air fuel on the pocketlogger? what is rick and what is lean.. and what else should I be watching?

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
The pocketlogger is awesome feedback device for measuring knock, injector duty cycle, etc. You can't use this to tune your engine per say. ie. Add more fuel, or subtract more fuel. You need a fuel computer for that.

With the pocketlogger, you can determine the maximum safe boost for your car. And should you ever get a fuel computer, you won't be tuning in the dark.

And yes, there's a seperate program available on the PC for reviewing data logs. It's called PL viewer. I do all my final analysis on the PC. Colour, and greater resolution makes it much easier.

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,402 Posts
hotsync

all you've got to do to get the logs on your computer is get that software, some java software, and hotsync your palm after you've done some logging.

Be careful with the DR500s, if you're not running propane or alcohol or any anti-knock agent. I wouldn't run more than 16 psi under almost any circumstance. 11 knock is getting up there and it probably starting to pull timing. I'd hate to see your motor go out for an extra 10 hp.

Rich and lean can be measured a lot with your 02 sensor readings. Knock is also a way to show if its lean.

A common misconception I am hearing as a possiblility: Just because you have enough fuel doesn't mean you won't get knock. You can dump all the pump gas in that you want, but to get the car to run at 18 psi you may still get knock. The pump gas is apt to pre-detonation because its easier to detonate inside the piston, the race gas/propane, on the other hand isn't, so its less likely to pre-detonate.

Any yes, you should tweek your fuel computer to run a good mixture so that you can get the boost as high as you can without knock.....but like I said before, and I got this from Matt M. from Dynamic...I'll do my best to not misquote him....but he basically doesn't run anything more than 15 psi on pump gas and no propane. Detonation is just easily found when doing that. I'd also recommend to try to keep the knock sums in the single digits if at all possible.

·
*Insert Evil Laughter*
3,141 Posts
OK.. thanks for the help. I got it all worked out now.. still want to fine tune it. I am at 14psi with a short 15psi spike with knock at 4 in one little spot.. I can probably iron it out.. this is just where I left off today. I would like some input and want to be able to post my logs from the pocketlogger.. but seriously, I can't figure out how to use the viewing software.. I downloaded both and there is just a bunch of files I don't know what to do with! can someone give me some detailed help getting it working?

OK figured that out.. but still don't know how to post it. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.