Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
well since you are new to the 3si board and you said you did a search........... look in your owners manual or it should be under your hood or some where in your engine bay

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NKG double plats. I got them in and they have a .43 or .44 gap. It definitely runs much smoother through the rpms. I think some of that might have been because the 3 hard to get to plugs i dont think were ever changed (i just got the car). I had a nice mixture of copper and plats.... beautiful. So i got them changed out and new 8mm wires put on and it runs smoother. Why can the tts run at such a small gap? And do you think that .43 is too much of a gap? I noticed no problems at high rpms.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem gapped at .43

I don't know the specs but it has something to do with spark blowout at high boost levels. Also, the double plats and iridiums work great for our cars but the TT guys prefer the old copper plugs. Something to do with heat.

Anyway, glad you got your running right. yeah, sometimes people don't replace the back ones because it's too much work. I replaced mine in about two hours. Not too bad for a rookie. I'm sure I could do it in an hour now.

R

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, mine was 2 hours... and the wind chill was about 5 deg. Talk about fun when your fingers are so absolutely numb you cant feel the bolt you are trying to tighten... dropping it into the deepest part of the engine. That has fun written all over it. haha But its done.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yeah, try replacing your fuel filter in the cold. You are guaranteed to cut up your fingers at least twice.

I installed my S-AFC a couple of days ago outside in the cold. That was real fun. My garage was full of christmas lights so I had no choice..

R

·
Registered
613 Posts
It really wasn't that hard to install. It took a couple of hours. You have to tap into the ECU and then install the bracket. I'll get some pics and post em.

The only reason I bought one was because it is a crucial step to getting NOS. I'm installing bigger injectors probably next week and I already installed the Walbro 255lph fuel pump. The S-AFC is only useful if you are changing out your injectors because your ECU only recognizes the stock injectors. IE an ECU from an NA only works with 220CC injectors. An ECU from a TT only works with 360CC injectors so you have to get the S-AFC so that you can trick your ECU into thinking you have more or less air intake. I'm working on getting a 100hp shot of NOS so this was a crucial step. Granted, I would much rather spent this money on a downpipe or under drive pulley. Those gains are noticeable. As far as the S-AFC, nobody has posted any proven gains in HP although I'm sure it's somewhere in the range of 3-10 HP.

R

·
Registered
491 Posts
Also, the double plats and iridiums work great for our cars but the TT guys prefer the old copper plugs. Something to do with heat.
Copper plugs are not only better for TT's, they're better for NA's as well. They conduct way better than a platinum plug will. The only reason to use plats is that they will last a long time where copper will wear out fairly quickly.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have the denso iridiums. Call me foolish, but I love em to death. I gapped them fairly short as I recall. .40 I believe. I haven't experienced any kind of hesitation what-so ever. I feel they will hold up better when I overhaul my ignition system...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts