Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
sounds like that makes sense. I do know people who have built boxes with drilled holes though. They start out the hole and then use a really small drill bit and they didnt have problems. Ill probably do what you said though.

·
Oh SNAP!!!
6,115 Posts
SC3GTStyle said:
sounds like that makes sense. I do know people who have built boxes with drilled holes though. They start out the hole and then use a really small drill bit and they didnt have problems. Ill probably do what you said though.
trust me on this one....i know the material very well, and by doing the method i metion...the headachs and time and money it will save you in the end will be worth it...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
if you HAVE to drill through acrylic with say a drill bit. use the right sized bit the forst time. don't say used a 1/8 inch pilot hole and then drill a 1/4 inch hole. hole saws also work well with acrylic for bigger holes. as thast what we use to do the holes for bulkheads in acrylic fish tanks

·
Banned
12,733 Posts
mywetdream said:
i work in a glass shop..and you NEVER drill Lexan/plexi glass...NEVER EVER..reason why.the drill bit even if you use the smallest of drill bits and work your way up..puts stress on the material,which will lead to cracks in time so what you want to do is get a nail of the size of hole you want, then heat the nail up with a torch, till the nail gets red, then poke a whole ...by doing it this method..you wont have any stress and the box will last longer and be crack free..take this from my advice..and my dad who has been in the glass business for 35 years...

They make special drill bits for plexiglass

·
Oh SNAP!!!
6,115 Posts
smokinvr-4 said:
They make special drill bits for plexiglass
thank you smokin....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, just joined this forum. Sorry to resurrect such an ancient thread (13 years old), but I am not whatsoever a Mitsubishi owner and have actually joined to inquire about some information as to where the initial photo of the plexiglass subwoofer box in this thread came from. I bought that EXACT box at a garage sale about 8-9 years ago for $30 and it is still, to this day, playing in the back of my Volvo 855R with some 14-year old, chrome-plated American Pro WS-9212 woofers in it! Does anyone know the origin of that photo? I'd like to find more info such as who built it and what they built it for. Thank you in advance! attached is a photo of the box in my car. I had decided to do some more research on it to determine its origin and this thread is the closest thing I can find anywhere on the internet.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts