Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever attempted to build a sub box with plexiglass. I mean like an entire face or more of the box being plexiglass. I have been looking this up for a while and havent been able to find any websites with good instructinos or tips on using this material. I am planning on building a nice show quality box with mirrors and neons because the one I have now is getting old. and its not sealed. I will put up a link with some pics with what im thinking about. If you guys have pics of ones that you have, that would help too. Thanks.

·
TPW: The Prophet
4,183 Posts
For an answer to something like that the only person who comes to mind at the moment who'd of attempted it is SmokinVR-4

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
done that. Ive been lookin all day and I actually found a really sweet site that does some seriously pimped out custom boxes but I cant find it again. I got a pic of something im trying to do. I know the thickness of the plexi reccomended is around 3/4" to keep it rigid. What I need to know about mainly is mounting the plexi at angles. Im assuming its treated just like wood with screws drilled in with pilot holes to prevent cracking. I kinda doubt it, but has anyone ever made a box like this.

I want it basically like that, but not ported and with the speakers facing upwards and only the top and front side made of plexi and all the rest wood. Ive made sub boxes before, and pretty complicated ones. Ive also worked with thin plexi to make illuminated designs, but never anything that large of a scale. Is there any sites to shed a little light or maybe someone who has a little more experience?

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
well its not like what your looking for but this has plexi on 2 sides

Click here

thats what he made for me theres a pic installed on page 5

EDIT: re-read your thread and it basicaly is what your looking for.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is basically what Im talking about. The only difference is i want the subs angled about 10 degrees into each other with a small flat space in the middle to possibly fit another tv screen. That is an awesome box. Also I want both faces to be full plexi not just windows. Thats really close though. Thanks a lot. Ill see if I can get some tips from him so I can get this box going this summer. The only problem ive run into with my boxes is that i have 2 12" subs which is kinda overkill for our cars and really hard to fit into the trunk. Thats an ideal setup though. Maybe if I'm really lucky hell throw me his plans ;)

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
yeah well they are actually full plexi the outside its just basically s cover. im sure hell help you out hes a great guy!

·
Premium Member
900 Posts

This box is held together with tongue and groove and epoxy. There are no screws holding this thing together. Good luck building this without a pretty extensive set of wood-working tools. You aren't going to be able to do this with a circular saw and a drill.

You are probably going to want to do a combination of particle board and Plexiglas and traditional fasteners like screws holding the Plexiglas to the wood.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That box is not like what I was going for. The one posted by LP Stealth is almost just like it. Unfortunately Smokinvr-4 didnt respond to my PM so Im still basically stuck w/o any info or tips on working with large sheets of plexi, or where to get it from.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
well mine was bonded with some sort of epoxy or something and then it was screwed to the MDF with double sided tape to seal it.

and yes sometimes smokin doesnt reply because his box gets full and he misses them happened to me before. if your really needing help just pm him again im sure he'll answer.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
double sided tape sounds smart. Im just trying to make sure all the creases get sealed. My box right now isnt sealed and I dont really like the quality of sound.

·
Registered
27 Posts
you can get plexiglass from most home-improvement stores: home depot, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
you can get plexiglass from most home-improvement stores: home depot, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok, the manager of a local car-audio shop, ProSound, just came by my house and I showed him this thread, and he said that he has in fact made just the box you are talking about. The only problem you'll have is the edges of the plexi, where you will be able to see the other edges butting against it. Simply drill some pilot holes, about 4 inches apart, and put in some bolts, and he recommended burning the edges to make them smooth after they are cut. Finally, post some pics after you finish!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks opticalsound, that helped a lot. I just have to figure out what im going to use for mirrors now and I can get everything figured out and started up with a nice 3d model. Im going to keep trying smokin-vr4 to get some help with the dimensions he used. My last few boxes have always been too big to keep the spare tire.

·
He who remains nameless
1,102 Posts

·
He who remains nameless
1,102 Posts
You can get acrylic and the supplies at some form of aquarium supply store, or they can normally order it. If you can goat them into pre cutting the pieces for you or getting them ordered to size all the better.

Personally something along the lines of an acrylic box is what I have planned.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
mess said:

This box is held together with tongue and groove and epoxy. There are no screws holding this thing together. Good luck building this without a pretty extensive set of wood-working tools. You aren't going to be able to do this with a circular saw and a drill.

You are probably going to want to do a combination of particle board and Plexiglas and traditional fasteners like screws holding the Plexiglas to the wood.

actually. that box is not held together by tounge and grove and epoxy. sorry.

Acrylic is bonded at the seams with an acrylic solvent. wich basically melts the two halves with a chemical that has suspended acrylic in it. once the chamical evaporated you have nothing but bonded acrylic. think of it as welding plastic. the most commonly used solvant is weld-on #4 working with acrylic and making boxes out of acrylic is the same as builing a mdf box. the ONLY real difference is using the solvant at the edges instead of the typical glue+screws combo. acrylic can be cut, routed, and drilled much the same way wood can BUT you have to have the right blades/bits to do it. I've built a few acrylic fish tanks in the past and trust me if they can hold 40+ gallons of water they can hold your subs. in fact if you really want to get into making completly acrylic boxes check out how to build a fish tank out of acrylic. you can use a circular saw or table saw with a very fine blade (80+ tooth w/ carbide tips) to cut acrylic

1 - 20 of 47 Posts