Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
lurking again
2,047 Posts
Agreed. The rest of the engine will just contain the extra heat that the plenum would have eventually gotten when the engine heats up. Simple understanding in the first section of this: http://www.physchem.co.za/Heat/Heat.htm
except that the extra heat not dissipated through the plenum would then be dissipated correctly by engine cooling system... that's what the radiator is for right? so no it doesn't stay in the engine or engine bay if everything else is working correctly... and no i'm not advocating that everyone run out and get a plenum spacer... i could care less... i've got one and i haven't had it installed on my car for about a year now... i'm just saying that the "heat stays in the engine bay" argument is retarded. how much difference do you really think it is going to matter? do you really think that if someone has a plenum spacer they are all the sudden going to have overheating issues else where in the engine?

·
User
593 Posts
except that the extra heat not dissipated through the plenum would then be dissipated correctly by engine cooling system... that's what the radiator is for right? so no it doesn't stay in the engine or engine bay if everything else is working correctly... and no i'm not advocating that everyone run out and get a plenum spacer... i could care less... i've got one and i haven't had it installed on my car for about a year now... i'm just saying that the "heat stays in the engine bay" argument is retarded. how much difference do you really think it is going to matter? do you really think that if someone has a plenum spacer they are all the sudden going to have overheating issues else where in the engine?
It could go to the radiator. It could head out in some of the oil. It could just make the engine/heads a bit hotter. Not saying it's a bad thing that the heat is somewhere else.

But saying that the entire engine bay is cooler because of a spacer seems a bit optimistic to me.

If it is getting exchanged to the air by the radiator, it will still wind up as extra heat in the engine bay anyways. unless you have some radical radiator set up... [post pics :p ]

Still, you are not only putting the heat somewhere else, but increasing runner length on an engine with long runners already. Not to mention twice the gaskets is twice the opportunity for leaks.

Getting rid of the rear turbo was the best thing I did for heat management in the engine bay. My plenum doesn't get near as hot anymore. You could try that too.

Anywho. Just saying, you change one thing, it can affect more than you think. For good or bad.

·
Evolved Member
919 Posts
No, you aren't going to all of a sudden have heating issues in other places in the engine. The point was that the heat that makes the plemun really hot doesn't magically dissappear when you get a plenum spacer. It goes to other places like the block, coolant, oil, etc. Yes, you bring up a valid point saying that there are cooling systems that aid with this, I know what a radiator is used for you sarcastic bastard :D (I joke). Something else is getting hotter because the plenum isn't, was the main point of my post.

·
Like a Bat outa hell!
823 Posts
Wouldn't you prefer to have the heat somewhere else instead of the intake plenum?
The heat in the intake plenum would ( however slight it may be ) increase intake charge and increase ( however slight ) the possibility of Knock.

I would rather have the heat in the block where it can be carried away by the existing cooling system.
The plenum does not have cooling ducts circulating through it, so the heat there stays there longer.
The heat can be carried away from the block and heads with the cooling system that is not present in the plenum.

As I said before, I am not claiming this is some miracle piece. Or that it has any significant gains.
But that every "little" thing you do to decrease intake charge has to be good for making higher boost levels.
If this piece actually decreases plenum temps, which others have found that it does, then it is doing what it claims to do.

If the heat goes somewhere else, then that is another issue to deal with.
That's like claiming that bigger turbos don't work because your just going to break your driveline if you increase your power output. Well, yes, but that is understood.
So, the next step is to upgrade your driveline to handle the extra power being produced.
With that idea, using this spacer would then prompt you to do something else to aid in removing the heat that has migrated from your plenum to somewhere else in the engine bay.
Cowel hood, vented hood, ducted fenders, bigger radiator/fans, wrapped/coated pipes, etc.

If your interested in a piece like this to reduce intake temps, (and that is the point of this piece, not necessarily reducing under hood temps.) then in all likelihood, you have also looked into other heat reducing items.
This piece would just be a small part in the heat reduction jigsaw puzzle.

I would think that this piece has at least a little more truth in advertising than the "Tornado under the hood" piece. Especially since that piece has been proven time and again that it does not work.
Just an example.

And that is what led me to the point of my previous post response to sportsb4life7 offering to sell me a throttle body spacer that he believes is a scam.
This piece actually does what it is advertised to do.
Whether or not you decide to use it or even think it is worthwhile is a moot point.
This issue was whether the spacer is a scam or not.
Most people will probably never use one.
But for the few that are on a quest to reduce intake charge temps, this piece is just something to CONSIDER.

Daniel

21 - 26 of 26 Posts