Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Re: i know

pearl green ES-adam said:
i know but i have to move to car to a different state and dont want to put the miles on
Comes with the territory...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
put it on a trailor.... i mean how many miles could it possibly put on it? Even if its 1000 WHOPTY DOOOOO!

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
yep moving across the state isn't an excuse.

Hey anyone know how to turn back an odometer? :)

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
><i>When your car hits ten years old, it doesn't matter what the odometer says. Legally it is exempt.</i>

I was about to tell you how full of crap you are, but figured I'd look smarter if I could quote the law in question, so I checked the Missouri Revised Statutes, and found this one:

<b>407.526. 1. A person commits the crime of odometer fraud in the third degree if, with the intent to defraud, he operates a motor vehicle <i>less than ten years old</i> on any street or highway knowing that the odometer of the motor vehicle is disconnected or not functioning.</b>

and suddenly thought "holy shit, he was right".

Well, sort of, because this only applies to actually driving the car, and not to fucking with the odometer itelf. Against you, we also have this:

<b>407.521. 1. A person commits the crime of odometer fraud in the second degree if he, with the intent to defraud disconnects, resets, or alters the odometer of any motor vehicle with the intent to change the number of miles indicated thereon.</b>

No mention there of 10 years.

So, in Missouri, you *are* full of crap after all :).

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Don't they have ways to see if it was tampered with?
Just trailor it to wherever you are going.

-Jeff

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
i know how but i wont tell you. :D

for two reasons:
#1) Your subject wasnt descriptive enough
#2) I don't want to help you do something like that. :D

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Well, I am not full of anything... re-read what I said. It may have been leading, but I never said that tampering with it was legal. :p
:D But, I still find that kind of disturbing. It means that if the odometer has been replaced, broken, or whatnot, you don't have to tell. So, in theory, you could buy another odometer with less miles on it than yours and put that in, since yours "broke." And you don't have to say a thing.

·
Evil Trucker
396 Posts
yeah you could buy an odometer with less miles on it and put it in, but unless you are the first owner of the car, never been in a wreck, and never had to go to an emissions test (i love florida) It will show up on the carfax report. Now dont get me wrong i love carfax......it saved me from buying crap when i was looking for my 3kgt. The one i almost bought, i later find out (after checking carfax) that it had been totaled twice so bad it was in teh junk year, now what the chances of that, plus it also had odometer fraud. just my .02

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Hey, I have a better idea. Just drive it a shitload so that the odometer rolls around. So then it will look like you have 50 miles on the car when you sell it.

-Jeff

·
Registered
689 Posts
Re: i know

pearl green ES-adam said:
i just dont want the miles, o well
What's up with the "please read"?

Yeah, well....none of us want the mileage on our cars, but if you drive the car, then the mileage goes on. How would you feel about buying a car and later finding it actually had many more miles on it? My guess is since this seems to concern you so much, you wouldn't like it. So why would you so willingly do it to others?

I got a new truck a year ago to try and keep the mileage down on my car. Problem is that every time I drive the truck I'm wishing I was in the car. I put less than 3,000 miles on the truck in a year.

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
Then why does the number on the odometer matter?

Survey says? X

Try again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts