1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Ex-Owner
1,284 Posts
yeah i'm with you. the math says that you should be about 117 ft behind. There are, however, other factors to include like the lead guy might have been slowing down and the losing guy might be gaining. But i DO agree that .5 sec doing 100mph should be more that 2 cars.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Your math is right, and from the time slip the two racers posted, I'd expect the same thing you do, around 8 lengths. The winner launched faster, was faster at 1/8 and faster in the trap. Curious how they could be within 2 lengths at the line. I'd like to see that video too.

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Staging rollout affects ET and the amount of win/loss space. You can stage either deep or shallow, and depending on your tire size and pressure, you can get a variance in the length you actually run while the timer is on. Example:

You stage really shallow (your front tires barely break the 2nd staging beam), and the other racer stages really deep (he's about to roll out of the staging beams). If you both have the same reaction time, and cross the line at the same time, the person that staged shallow would run a faster ET, even though he was dead even with the other driver, and actually ran a few inches further than 1,320ft. Reason? He was roling for a few inches before he rolled out of the staging beams, so he had already built up a fraction of a mph... BEFORE the staging beams tripped the timer. So even though he ran a few more inches, he ran a faster ET because he got a *tiny* bit of a rolling start.

Anyways, this is pretty much obsolete because rollout can only change ET by <.05 (1/2 car length).

Try this: somebody do the math on the drivers going 107mph instead of 100mph and see how much of a difference that makes.

·
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, it's obviously going to be a greater distance, since he would travel farther in 0.8 seconds going 107 than 100

oh well, I guess I'll break out the calculator
107 mph = 157 ft/s = 125 ft in 0.8 sec
so I'm guessing about 15 ft per car length (anyone want to measure theirs? :p ) that means 8 and 1/3 car lengths

not much of a difference, but a little

·
Registered
811 Posts
This is really weird, the logic seems totally sound, .1 should equal roughly a car length, I can't see how it could be different. The pic/video, I believe I see 4 carlengths there, but it's hard to say from the angle, but clearly not 8. This is gonna drive me nuts till someone figures it out.

If someone put a knife to my throat I'd have to side with the logic, .1 & 100ish= about a car length, but the pic says otherwise.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
I did not see the pic/video but keep in mind that wheel spin has a big effect on trap speeds. The more wheel spin, the higher the trap speed. Also look at the RT. It is not included in the ET and can make a differance as to how close the cars are at the end of the track. I ran against a 4x4 truck in brackets one night. They let him go 7 sec. before me and I crossed the line maybe a car length ahead of him. I'll see if I can find the vidoe of my race against a Type R and put up here. By the way, they run 15-19 sec 1/4 up here. There was one that ran a 12.x w/ turbo and every thing else.

·
Registered
678 Posts
yep, mobo is right, the answer lies in the RT.

·
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
some people didn't read the whole post :p

We took the reaction time into consideration. The guy who won by ET won by 0.5 seconds. He also was 0.3 seconds quicker in reaction time. That is why we were using 0.8 seconds as the basis for how many car lengths he would be behind ( 8 ).

·
Registered
811 Posts
I really want to get this figured out, so--TTT.

I think the track (timing) screwed up, can't see any other explanation.

·
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as I'm concerned, the video proved me correct.

If you look at 0:10 of the video, and count the car lengths using a vertical distance (measured from the front left of the car to the BACK LEFT of the car -- not back right) there are about 7 car lengths from the front of Ukyo's car to the front of Ruiner's car.

Also, there is an additional car length gained between the 1/8 and 1/4 mile mark according to ET difference (I take this 0:10 to be around the 1/8 mark).

The still that was posted was from after the race was over -- after the 2nd car had already passed thru the traps (both cars' traps can be seen) so the 1st car had obviously already slowed down some ..... and there were still a minimum of 4 lengths between the two cars

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
You can use a turbo timer like a G-Tech to measure performance. I believe that's why he has it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
yes, drew is right, i like the way it looks so much more than the G-Tech and it doesn't take up my cig lighter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts