Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The boxing day is here,and I ended up with some extra cash,and I definately want to upgrade my stock stereo system in my 92'ES.

I'd like to go and buy ,some new speakers and possibly an amplifier.
Now,since I don't have any tools at home(live in a building), i don't have a clue;
-what size of the speakers do I need (doors,dashes,and rear).
Did anybody read ,the handeling power on stock speakers,when they were taking them out in order to replace them.
-the stock amplifier(how powerful is it,is it bridgeable)
I'm looking at the possibility of bridgeing the stock amplifier,for more power to the dash/door speakers,and purchasing the new amplifier and new speakers in the back.

I think my current stereo sounds pretty good,(mitsu double din with equilizer)but I definately want to get more output power ,so I won't be replacing the head unit.

Any suggestions......any addresses on the net,for a good deals on speakers.....

any input will be appreciated..

happy holidays,

Milan

·
Registered
600 Posts
The speaker size for the front doors are 6 1/2".
The dash speakers are kinda 3" but I don't think they are a normal size. I had Vifa speakers installed in my dash but the speaker had to be machined in order to fit. You really don't need them anyways.

The rears are 6x9's.

As far as bridging a factory amp. I would NOT try it. Factory amps are purpose built, they are not designed to be bridged. How would you brigde it anyways? Bridging an amp means combining two channels into one. So if you bridge two channels into one, how would you power the other channel?

try these guys.... http://www.audio-warehouse.com/
their prices are excellent. And service seems to be good too. I had a defective Sony ES radio that they sold me. They sent me a replacement radio before I sent the defective radio back to them! They didn't have one in stock so they searched the distributors around until they found it!

Jose Soriano
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Amahoser (edited December 28, 1999).]

·
'05 Pontiac GTO CGM/M6
228 Posts
Well I hope you have a descent amount of cash, you are going to need it! You cannot use the factory amp in an upgrade, unless it is just the speakers. You will have to get an aftermarket amp (two or three of them is best.) Here is how mine is set up, and here is how I plan to upgrade soon. I have converters on the back of the factory head unit (I wanted the stock look also, along with the steering wheel controls)that convert the outputs from the fac. stereo/equilizer/cd changer from regular wire to RCA jacks. You will need four of these one for each speaker (front left, front right, rear left, rear right.) Run the four cables to the rear, either build an amp rack, or just screw the amps you get onto the back seat. Right now, I have one four channel amp running 8 speakers inside and another two channel amp bridged to a 12" Fosgate sub that fires straight up onto the rear window, which in turn, goes straight into the cabin. I plan on buying two new amps, one to control, equilize and balance the front speakers, and one amp to do the same for the rear (I added aftermarker infinity tweets above my 6x9's in the rear making the total regular speakers in the car go up to 8) I will keep the sub the same, maybe add another one, but run it with the existing sub amp. I would also recommend a crossover, to seperate the sounds from the factory head unit. This will allow you to control the sounds to each speaker, I have it set up that highs and mids go to the front (doors and dash tweets), and mid-bass go to the rears (6x9's and tweets), and of course it has a seperate sub output for my 12". I have infinity kappas (green cone) all the way around, and am very happy with them. I have loud, clean, clear, crisp music but of course I have to make it even louder, but that is just me. Hope these suggestions hope they help and good luck. As for amps, I would go with Rockford Fosgate, Infinity, or Alpine, if you add a sub, I would go with Fosgate (higher model, not the cheap ones) or Kicker Solo-Baric. Crossovers, well I have a boston coustic, with a seperate sub control, that I ran to the center console via the telephone wire that came with it. This allows me to control just the sub (which of course controls the amount of bass in my music since it changes from cd to cd, and source to source, like cd to radio..) Have fun, it can be a great little hobby to make our cars even nicer

-Ed
'93 R/T Pearl White

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx guys ,
right now I'm looking at cerwin vegas,SS (stealth series) SS2602 exactly (component 6'5 mid/woofer,3/4 tweet)for the front and:
6x9 3ways SS6903 for the rear
-components 113$
-rears 93$

anybody has any experience with these,or if anybody has a better price on those,please let me know.

happy hoilidays

Milan
92ES

1 - 4 of 4 Posts