Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And FYI I did just spend like 1.5 hours reading old posts but didn't really get any good answers specific to my question.

I'm DYING to get this new deck installed... I haven't had a working tuner for a few months!

Here's what I have... the 1991 RT/TT stock system, the kind that has two single-din parts (receiver/tape in one unit, CD player underneath in a separate unit) and the AMP is behind the stereo (not under the seat).

All I want to do is replace the headunit with my new Kenwood MPC8017 but don't have even the slightest idea on how to start. I'm an electrical idiot.

Here's my specific questions:

1. My deck is 45x4 so I think I'll bypass the stock amp BUT I'm wondering how I drive SIX speakers with it?? I just hook all 4 of the front speakers (2 dash and 2 door) to the FRONT outputs on the deck? will that screw up the OHMs or whatever? IF I can't it's no big deal, I"ll just live with the door speakers.

2. I've purchased 2 different harnesses and neither of them work. Both of them say they are for the '91 RT/TT. So I guess I'll have to cut the stock wiring. But I need to know WHAT WIRES ARE WHAT? I've seen people respond "just use a volt meter" but I don't even know what to look for there... o it sure would be nice to get COLOR CODES telling what each wire does. Or at the very least tell me what to look for on the voltmeter. :)

3. I need to fill in the other DIN space... I read about a "pocket" that would fit in there. Where do I find something like that?

Remember, I know NOTHING about this crap so any answers will really have to be dumbed down. Heck, if you are really into helping me, email me and I'll call you on the phone or something.

Thanks in advance!

·
Here Since 2000
3,707 Posts
HOLD UP! The piece you are reffering to behind your radio is the ECU. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

If you have a amp it will be under the passengers seat. Not every 3si has a stock amp.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL It may be the ECU... it's shiny silver (chromish?). But there's a bunch of wires that look like they are going down to it?

I think RickyN29 sent me the correct wiring diagram... we'll see!

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, that thing IS an amp... unless the ECUs only connection to the car is to the stereo. LOL

Here's how I think it was wired... from the OEM HU to the AMP (behind the HU) thru the "Circle plug" thing. Then back to the HU using regular wires, then out to the speakers.

I ended up cutting the stock harness off and hardwiring into the existing wires. Everything came out great with Ricky's color code page.

The new HU sounds GREAT. Love it. And there's no other upgrades, just 45x4 into the stock speakers. FOr c-mas I'm getting some new door speakers and maybe some new 6x9's for the back but for sure getting either 2 10" subs or 1 12" sub and an amp. Even the wife said, "needs more bass" :) :)

That said, there's more bass than stock, just still not enough.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
JeremyG said:
Yep, that thing IS an amp... unless the ECUs only connection to the car is to the stereo. LOL

Here's how I think it was wired... from the OEM HU to the AMP (behind the HU) thru the "Circle plug" thing. Then back to the HU using regular wires, then out to the speakers.

I ended up cutting the stock harness off and hardwiring into the existing wires. Everything came out great with Ricky's color code page.

The new HU sounds GREAT. Love it. And there's no other upgrades, just 45x4 into the stock speakers. FOr c-mas I'm getting some new door speakers and maybe some new 6x9's for the back but for sure getting either 2 10" subs or 1 12" sub and an amp. Even the wife said, "needs more bass" :) :)

That said, there's more bass than stock, just still not enough.
Get an amp and 6.5 componets for the front and leave in your factory 6 by 9's even a pretty bad ass pair of 6 by 9's wont do much for your sound.

·
Registered
38 Posts
if i might

to actually answer some of your questions....

for the four front speakers...run the wires to your crossovers, then from your crossovers they will split with seperate wires going to the tweeters, and seperate wires to your dash speakers (if you don't have crossovers, get them, they'll save your tweets)

if you have aftermarket speakers, splurge on an aftermarket amp...that's just my personal suggestion

alright, you should have two wiring harnesses, one that came with your head unit, going to another wiring harness which connects to your head units harness, and will probably have to be bought seperately, and that connects to the wiring in your car
15 bucks for the one that connects to your car, 30 bucks for the one that connects to your head unit (again, it should have come with your head unit)

if you are unable to find the correct one (by that i mean going to a car audio place, telling them what you need and you keep getting the wrong ones) I would get my money backp, tell the guyhe's a moron, tell his manager to fire his ass, and tell all your friends that they have no clue what they're talking about and don't deserve your buisness....
all they have to do is look in the book (or the packaging holding the wiring harness)
15 bucks for the one that connects to your car, 30 bucks for the one that connects to your head unit (again, it should have come with your head unit)

as for the pocket, I always call it a spacer kit, and they're relatively easy to find...I don't have a pocket, because they didn't carry that kind at the place I went, it's just flat and black, and they're easy to install..can cost you anywhere from 15-30 bucks, depending

as for color coding, it's not universal, but it's pretty close...the bag to my wiring harness had the type of color matched with the type of cord i.e. black = ground....if yours doesn't i'm sure you can find out somewhere online

hope that helps

·
Registered
38 Posts
oh, and everybody bashes 6 x 9's in our cars...well, i love mine...they make the sound in my car...until i make some kick panels anyway....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts