Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
5,046 Posts
Sounds like you would choose a timing belt firstly, I am thinking the same thing, particularly I don't really need to drive this car currently, I buy this as a project car, have some other cars for daily drive. Thanks!
If you have time to let her sit, I'd ensure tge timing stuff gets done as close to driving as possible. You'd hate to do the timing, let her sit, and have to redo the timing in a few thousand miles cuz it sat for a few years. Not that I'd know anything about that.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
5,046 Posts
Thanks, I think I will drive it casually. would sit it for two months after the timing belt change sounds ok? (I need that time to do the front suspension )
Months is fine. My parts sat for years in non climate controlled storage then installed on the car for a couple years before driving her again.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
5,046 Posts
I am so sorry, what is "master rebuild gasket"? or to say gasket for what?
Gaskets for everything. Water pump, oil pump, cam seals, etc. Basically, every gasket that would get replaced when rebuilding the engine. I think.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
5,046 Posts
It sounds a little scary to me...I will do timing belt, pulleys, water pump, oil pump, cam seals, sump firstly. I am always confused about cam seal replacment, if you take off the Cam gear, how you know if you messed the timing or not when put it back? is it possible to mess the timing during removal or install the cam seal?
With any of that, I'd look into doing the whole timing mess at the same time. It'd be a good thing to familiarize yourself with the jobs for it in the factory service manual.

Reactions: zhloea

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
5,046 Posts
By "set your timing top dead center" you mean makings sure all four cam timing marks match the mark on the engine right?
You'll need to have the harmonic balancer off too to ensure all timing marks are correct. You want to have the crank gear lined up on its indicator, and the cam gear indicators lined up on the heads as well. The factory service manual has all this information in it. You can download copies from 3sx.com and ninjaperformance.com

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
5,046 Posts
Throw a bunch of cardboard under, then go nuts with the brake clean and brush and such. Get it all as clean as possible. So much easier to find leaks when clean
This is a very good point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts