Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
192 Posts
I would pull the 2 timing belt covers off and get a good look at cam shaft seals and if ya can pull harmonic balancer off getting a good look at all the seals preferably putting your timing top dead center before pulling your timing belt off... if you decide to do the work needed ... if it was mine would go ahead and nip it all in the butt... valve cover gaskets cam caps and seals taking off oil filter housing new gasket going back with new everything timing belt kit... water pump idler / tensioner O rings front and back for pipe that runs thru valley of the block to coolant fill cap side (thermostat housing)....

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
192 Posts

Might be hard getting a hold of the rear part of water pump seen a good amount of water pump kits that just come with the front only... the flush mount screws have a tendency of being over torqued and destroys the threads in rear impeller housing just FYi

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
192 Posts
It sounds a little scary to me...I will do timing belt, pulleys, water pump, oil pump, cam seals, sump firstly. I am always confused about cam seal replacment, if you take off the Cam gear, how you know if you messed the timing or not when put it back? is it possible to mess the timing during removal or install the cam seal?
As long as you set your timing top dead center first before you even think bout pulling timing belt off ..... but for the cam gears there are roll pins to line up just like your crank gears.... just dont mix up your cam gears regardless... keep everything organized....always organized !!

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
192 Posts
Double check the timing as well before removal of old belt look make sure all of your timing marks are lined up... if not 1 tooth off on either cam gear can bend some valves slightly found 2 of mine that got bent from a shop in the mid 2000s... (year)... did water pump job poorly

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
192 Posts
By "set your timing top dead center" you mean makings sure all four cam timing marks match the mark on the engine right?
Yes.... there are marks on the front of heads behind cam gears and on the top lip of valve behind cam gears as well for in car replacement purposes the crank is self explanatory... roll pin to mark on front cover of block... helps to set crank back 1 tooth going back with new belt...

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
192 Posts
Between work and coming home working on car took my time with it ....ruffy bout 30days to go thru my engine with heads pulled and sent to machine shop just take your time soak up and look for as much info on it before taking on this work....

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
192 Posts
Make sure you just dont slap timing belt on depending on what belt you decide to go with I usually try to have the words or other stated lettering or arrow direction turning clock wise dont know if this was covered in previous conversations prior... figured I would post this

1 - 12 of 12 Posts