Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
3si member #294
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the studs on the front driver side of my 95 VR-4. Two holes in the hub are already stripped, how can I fix this? Also do I need to take my hub off? Is this difficult?
Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
486 Posts
If i remember correctly, the studs are changeable, but they are a serious pain in the rear. You have to take the caliper, and rotor off(I did), and then they gave you just barely NOT enough room to bang the stud out. It is possible with a lot of anger, and then you have to try and jam the new ones in. It is possible, and i would do it again to save cash, but it wasnt fun. Hope i was of help.

Brian
91 STealth ES

G

·
I broke one on the front passenger side of my 92 R/T and when I took off the rotor and caliper I couldnt find the back of the hole where the studs go in at so I didnt wanna bang on it yet. What else do i have to take off?

·
3si member #294
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After you take your caliper and rotor off the studs are pressed into the hub. To take them off, just hit the front of them with a hammer. If your not going to use them again cut the end off with a hacksaw, it will be a lot easier to get them out. If your going to use them again than dont hit the bare end with a hammer, use a peice of wood in between or something so you dont mess the threads up. And if you put them back try to get the stud in the same exact position so that you dont strip your hub in the future.
Ryan
95 VR-4

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
I had to change studs on a ford probe once, and basically had to do it myself since I was at home and had broken two studs on one side. Hamering them out isn' that difficult. Getting them back in is. I put the studs into the holes, and tapped them enough to get them lined up straight with the holes, which was probably one 1 to 2 millimeters into the hole. Then I got two old wrenchs and hung the closed ends over the threaded side of the stud (as spacers), and used an old lug nut and screwed it on until it pulled the stud in place. If you do this, make sure when you are screwing the lug nut on, you don't let the wrenches drag against the treads of the stud, or it'll damage it. It ended up leaving little scratches on the rotor around the stud, but could not be seen with the wheel on. I think I large washer placed under what ever you use for a spacer will keep from scratching the rotor. When I figured this out, it made it a 1000 times easier than trying to hammer it in. All you need to do is find something to make space between the lug nut and the rotor, and that it creates enough space to pull the whole stud through. When I did this, both wrenches and the lug nut had alot of metal scraped off from the friction, so use something that you don't care about damaging. I think you can get deep socket lug nuts singly at Autozone for about $1.50, they keep them behind the counter, so don't damage your good ones.

Jason

G

·
I'm driving on 4 studs on right rear. One got spun by a forceful idiot at a tire shop. Had to drill it out.
My question is: do the stud holes in the hub have splines or just the studs themselves? The stud I got out was striped/smooth at the spline end (it was spun in the hole), the hole is smooth now too. But I think the studs should be made of a softer metal than the hub, to strip first. Do I just press a new one in and the splines on the stud will bite in?
Man that was long and cumbersome, sorry.
VADIM

·
3si member #294
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just finished fixing mine, had the same problem. To answer your question there are only splines on the stud, not on the hub. When you put the stud in, it cuts grooves in the hub. If your lucky like I was then the hub wont be stripped and you can just put another stud in. I got mine for $.98 a piece at autozone. use a nut or your lug nut with washers to pull the stud through, dont try to hammer it in. If you dont think it will stay you can get a new hub, I was quoted $85 for a front one, or you can weld the back of the stud to the hub.
Hope this helps
Ryan
95 VR-4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.