Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a question that I am sure all of you can answer.... I own a 1991 Stealth Twin Turbo AWD with 67k miles and am looking to buy a blow off valve. I was wondering where the (stock) blow off valve is located. Is the stock blow off valve called a wastegate? If not, what is a wastegate? Also, I am experiencing lag at the high end that I especially notice when in the high end of 1st and 2nd gear....can anyone help me with suggestions on what to check? I had the wires/plugs changed about a year ago, am currently having a water pump and timing belt installed, just had a rebuilt tranny in it, new clutch, new borla exhaust, HKS boost controller, new left front intercooler, and GT1 18" wheels (check out the attached picture!) ....PLEASE HELP! It's really weird too, because the lag at the top end doesn't happen all the time....when it does, it sucks! Please help me out....I do not always check the message boards here, so I am in dire need for you guys to email me! My email is [email protected]. Thanks!

Matt
Valparaiso, IN

Attachments

·
Official Gathering Ghost
1,848 Posts
Since you are actually intelligent, I will try to help you out the most I can....SEARCH...but seriously, I own a N/A, if I knew the answers to your questions I would tell you and not be an ass and say search, but the search will answer a lot of those questions I bet......

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Here ya go..

Ill help ya out. :) The wastegate is inside your turbos and is not related at all to your blow off valve hehe. Your stock blow off valve is on the bottom of intake tube below the Y-Pipe behind the mass airflow sensor (MAS). You know where your airfilter is? See the MAS right behind the airfilter? Right where the MAS connects to the intake tube below the Y-Pipe the stock blow off valve is right on the underside of where they connect. I edited some pictures below to show you where:

Attachments

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Last Picture

Heres a picture of the stock blow off valve itself on the car! (This is with the airfilter and MAS removed). :)

Attachments

·
Only Tonic is Chronic
1,549 Posts
http://www.stealth316.com
Take a day and just Read everything on that whole site.
It should answer any question you have about your car for as long as you own it. I still look at his site when I need to look something up. Jeff Lucius you are the man.
Also, the board FAQ at the homepage is a great resource.
Welcome.
Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the pics and info, guys! I am curous as to how long it would take me, a novice on engine work, to replace a blowoff valve, or if you think I shouldn't even attempt it myself? Let me know.....Also, what would you suggest I get for my car as far as a blowoff valve?? I forgot to say also I have an HKS Dual Intake Air Inlet System (Dual green air filters), so I believe the blowoff valve should still be in the same spot as your pics, correct? And you said .32 on the spark plugs, right? Any suggestions on new and a good price??

Matt
Valparaiso, IN

Attachments

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
mattk408 said:
Thanks for the pics and info, guys! I am curous as to how long it would take me, a novice on engine work, to replace a blowoff valve, or if you think I shouldn't even attempt it myself? Let me know.....Also, what would you suggest I get for my car as far as a blowoff valve?? I forgot to say also I have an HKS Dual Intake Air Inlet System (Dual green air filters), so I believe the blowoff valve should still be in the same spot as your pics, correct? And you said .32 on the spark plugs, right? Any suggestions on new and a good price??

Matt
Valparaiso, IN
Blow off valve is way easy, shouldn't give you any trouble. Also it should still be in the same place even with your HKS filter. Im not sure what you mean about gapping the plugs to .32, you do that when you raise the boost (to 14.5 PSI) via a boost controller. Are you asking what are good brands of blow off valves are or what brand plugs are good?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys,

I believe I am running the stock amount of boost (9psi?) and yes, I do have an aftermarket boost guage.....I haven't driven the car in about a good month, due to back in July a technician at a local tranny shop, went 60mph in it around a turn and wrecked it! So, it has actually been in the process of getting fixed all since july! Now, I have a guy replacing the wate rpump and timing belt due to a nasty coolant leak (was the water pump). Maybe I can have my guy check the gap on the plugs as you suggested....anything else? The lag at the top end is really annoying and prevents me from getting that "go-fast" feeling everytime.....it really is a drag because it doesn't happen all the time - only about 60 percent of the time.....could it be the plugs? Can I regap my current ones? I do notice that with the boost controller active, the lag is present all the time...... I am not even sure what model HKS boost contorller I have...It was in the car when I bought it....all other stuff I did....anyways, I am trying to get info on the boost controller, but can't, due to it being mounted in the glove box, with no show of stickers/tags for the model number.......it has Low/High/Manual buttons, along with a dial to the right of the buttons that requires the Manual button be pressed in to use......please help if you know anything about this boost controller, and if so, what are the settings for (Low/high/Manual)? Forgive me, but I know little about these cars and am learning daily! Please let me know!!

Matt

Attachments

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,001 Posts
Just a teeny weeny bit off topic, but you can make what we call a 'Signature'. So you don't have to put:

Matt
Valparaiso, IN

and an attatchment of your pretty car. You can find it in your Control Panel and under Profile. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts