Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A VR4 mechanic at a mit.dealer thinks I need a new turbo. When I start my car in the morning it runs like shit, (bogs,chokes,and backfires) but after it warms up (5 - 10 miles) it runs better, not perfect but good? Could this be a turbo problem, it seems to me like a bad air/fuel mix or sensor. Any help would be appreciated,
thanks,
Eric

V

·
0 Posts
Does your exhaust blowing out a lot of smoke?If so,it may be
caused by your turbos.If not,probably it's your air/fuel mix.
I would also check the termostat.
Also,when is the last time you have your car tuned up?

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
I agree, no smoke = no turbo failure
I would check your plugs, wires, and perhaps the ECU capacitor ($5) swap from John M. in the for sale section

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Not <i>this</i> John M btw :)

You need to check your plugs and wires and all IC pipe connections. I'm pursuing a theory with the fuel pressure regulator solenoid on the firewall but it'll be a while before I have any definite results.

How old is your o2 sensor? At part throttle the car relies on it for your mixture. If it's almost dead, you could be running way rich.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree..

Check your sensors BEFORE "Mr. I want to make this stealership as much $$$ as possible- mechanic" yanks your turbos and your wallet!!

Possible probs could be:
1. O2 sensors
2. Mass Air Flow
3. Coolant Temp sensor
4. I/C lines
5. Vaccum lines (cracked, loose)

Check these prior to your turbo swap

D

·
Registered
232 Posts
No, it doesn't sound like a turbo. But you may have a couple of problems. The bad/cold - ok/hot, sounds like the coolant temp sensor gone bad. It's fairly cheap, and easy to replace. I'd start there.

·
That Others May Live
3,845 Posts
You will know if the turbos are going bad if you have oil in your intercooler pipes. Pull off your pipes at the Y-pipe and if you have a pool of oil, then its your turbos. But from the sounds of it, that wont be necessary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts