Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a '91 VR4 with no owner's manual (can anyone tell me where to get one?). The second problem is that my ABS light is ALWAYS on once I start driving. Why and what should I do? Please help. I posted the same message in the Emergency section bot no one seems to visit there. Thanks.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It could be a lot of different things. I had the same problem and turned out to be the hydraulic unit which isn't cheap (about $2500 part alone from Mitsu, got a used one from a junk yard for $250). Than it could be something as simple as the HU is not grounded propertly or a blown relay. There are 3 relays, one in the main realy box and two on the ABS hydraulic unit itself. Do you hear a whining noise when starting to drive the car? Does the light come on when you turn your key, blink a couple of times,and go off and comes back on when you start driving.....or does it stay on as soon as u turn the key.......Owners manual won't help you with this. You need the repair manual to narrow down the problem. (sorry for the long post)
Contact me if you need more info on this....i'll be glad to help.

92 RT/TT

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Took it to the dealership this morning, they told me it is a bad hydraulic unit. A used one, they said, would be $1500 parts and labor, which hurts. I am going to get an extended "bumper-to-bumper" warranty ASAP, maybe they will pick it up.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an extra Hydraulic Unit for the TT or VR4 if u need it. I had to change mine out in 92 TT do to the same problem. I got it from a junk yard with 60 day warranty. I called them up two weeks later and told them it stopped working. I had them sent me another one. It worked out quite nice.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great! How much would you want for it, Twinboosted? I am still hoping the warranty will pick it up, but they have 30 days waiting period. To stare at that damn light for another month is a pain. But then again how much is the labor on the unit?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking like $300. I had it checked out already and it's fine........it looks pretty new......the one I took out of my car was all rusty and stuff.......I guess that is why it went in the first place....the location for the unit in the car isn't that great (right above the right fender). As the installation goes it's pretty simple, I was going to do it myself but........I just had local shop put it in for $150....not too bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts