Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The part number for the gear is MR111502. After installing it, your speedo will be dead on. Isn't it odd how the speedos always err on the fast side and never read "too slow". It wouldn't have anything to do with a warranty being up quicker, would it?

V

·
0 Posts
Hi,

I own a base-model 1992 Stealth. I have noticed that the speedometer is reading about 8 MPH high when travelling at 60 MPH. I have heard of a 'gear or something' replacement. Is this true? If so, is it hard to reach / where is it located? Thank you!!!

T

·
0 Posts
i have a 96 sl and have had numerous problems with my speedo. i have taken it to the garage and apparently the speed sensor needs to be replaced. within this speed sensor is the gear. i think the whole thing costs about $50, and from what i could see it only took the mechanic about a minute to whip it oit to check it and put lso put it back in.

hope this helps although i am no techie myself

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
There is a gear that needs to be replace in the transmission. I just ordered one for mine. It cost $26 and takes about 20 minutes to replace. No big deal. Remove the speedometer cable from the transmission and take out one bolt. the gear assy comes out and put the other one in, basically. I will post the part # as soon as I can find my receipt.

V

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the help! I am so glad that it sounds do-able and inexpensive. I am not to mechanically inclined, though...is this something I can do myself? Where does the cable enter the transmission? Thank you!

R

·
0 Posts
If you put your car on jack stands and craw underneath it from the front you can feel where the spedo cable attaches to the transmission with your right hand. The cable is held in place by coller threaded nut. Very simular to one on a motorcycle. Once removed, the threaded portion of the gear assembly will be exposed. There will be a # 10 bolt just to the right of it. Remove that with a 1/4" ratchet, the housing and gear may be removed.
Be advised that you may find a poly gear that looks perfectly good and normal, but, hold the drive end of the shaft with a screw driver and turn the gear. The gear may be slipping on the shaft. I didn't figure that out until the second time I took it apart!

[This message has been edited by Ray (edited December 19, 1999).]

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mistake because I didn't notice the original poster has an SL. The part number I posted earlier is for 91-93 turbo cars. Sorry.

A

·
0 Posts
Exactly where does the speedo cable attach to the transmission? I spent several hours looking for it yesterday on my 92 TT and could not find it. Is it buried behind something? That engine compartment is so full, I couldn't even see where it entered the firewall. A specific description of the location would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts