Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to understand everything on this board and am not having very much luck with some of it.

Can someone one give me a rookies course and explain the path air takes from intake to exhaust, including both turbos?

I'm feeling lost reading the things you guys are doing and here I am, can't get past the simple stuff.

Please help,
Lost in Indiana

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I am happy to help you with your questions.. Just post a question directed at me on the board, and I will answer when time permits..

R

·
0 Posts
Grid....Welcome....respond to Brian's offer or try Roger Gerl's site www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/9589 Both of these guys are experts. Also, hit the "Home" link at the top of this page and browse the members sites...theres more than enuff info there to gag a KFC "unit"

·
Registered
92 Posts
First the air is filtered and then it passes throught the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAS). After the MAS the air is split and routed to both turbos which compress the air. The compressed air is then passed through the intercoolers (each turbo has its own intercooler). The purpose of the intercoolers is to cool the compressed air making it more dense and also to keep eng temp down. The cooled air from each of the intercoolers is then combined at the Y-pipe where it goes to the throttle body. The throttle body is basically a butterfly valve that is controlled by the gas pedal to regulate how much air is let into the engine. Also attached to the throttle body is the throttle position sensor which tells the ECU (computer) how much gas to pass through the injectors. Anyway, after the throttle body the air enters the plenum which splits the air into 6 diffent paths that lead to the intake ports on the cylinder heads. Right at the end of the plenum's runners are the injectors which is where the fuel and air are combined. I am assuming you understand basic 4 cycle combustion so I'll jump to the exhaust.

The exhaust from the heads is routed through the exhaust manifolds and into the other side of the turbos. After the exhaust exits the turbos, it is sent through the pre-cats, then combined into a single pipe and then through the catalitic converter. Finally it is routed to the rear of the car.

This is a pretty basic description so just let me know if there is anything else you want to understand ie. turbo operation, O2 sensors, blow off valves ect.

Hope this helps
Jeremy
94 RT/TT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts