Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
-
6,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've been thinking about doing a custom supercharger on my car. I want to use an Eaton M-90 supercharger found in mercury cougar XR-7's, T-Bird SuperCoupe's, Pontiac Bonneville SSEI's, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP's, etc. I mainly want to use it because you can find them in junk yards and on eBay for like $300. Also, its made for a slightly bigger engine so it will provide plenty of boost. The main problem is finding a place under the engine bay to stick it and have it driven by the belts. The physical dimensions of the supercharger are 16.5" X 8.5" X 6.5".

I'd actually rather use the M-62 supercharger, its smaller and more suited for the application. The problem is you can't find it on an older car in a junk yard, and I'm not spending $3,000 for one of these things. I'm doing this custom and cheap, I'd rather just do a TT conversion.

Here's were I was thinking of putting it:

The pulley I circled in red is to the power steering pump I believe. I wish I could do away with the power steering pump, but this car needs power steering. I think I might be able to drive the SC off this pulley and still keep the PS pump there. The space between the back of the engine and the firewall is pretty close, think I can fit it? Can you drive a supercharger off a smaller belt like that one, or will it slip too easily?

I would want to make some custom brackets to mount the supercharger and then do some custom piping down to a factory TT intercooler on one side. Do I have to get metal piping custom bent to go everywhere, or can I make it out of PVC pipe. I know its really hot there by the back exhaust manifold so I dunno... I'll get VR-4 injectors and fuel pump and all the a/f controllers, etc. I'm doing this all myself and if it is too crazy and the cost is too high I will abandon it, I'd do a TT swap instead.

If I can't fit it back there, I was thinking about running a shaft to the other side of the engine. I could fit it where the stock air box is, etc. I can also have stuff go higher, i'll cut a hole in the hood and fiberglass some kind of scoop there to give more clearance.

So do you think I can ever pull it off? Any ideas? Any other cars with stock superchargers I might consider?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I wish I knew more about suprchargers. If you found somebody who already owned one like a gtp guy I am sure he could be loads of help.

I would try to mount it in the back and have some type of custom sheet metal intake that it bolts onto.

Another option is to use the pulley below that one that is used for the ac compressor.

Also maybe try for one of the supercharges from the old mr2's I know they are a pretty tight fit back there.

·
I'm HISPANIC dammit!
1,783 Posts
Hmm

Not sure if that would work. I believe roots blowers are custom fitted to the block. If the cars you listed are 3.0 L v-6's with the same dimensions then it MIGHT work. Knight makes a turbo kit though it's quite a bit more than $300, and it's a centrifugal kit. :)

·
-
6,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cars with the M-90 from the factory had them bolted right to the engine intake. When you use a roots type for an aftermarket aplication you just make some custom plates to go on the intake and outlet ports to hook it to intake and intercooler tubes. All you have to worry about it mounting it so a belt can drive it.

·
-
6,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You use different sized pulleys on the supercharger to change the speed. If you used that skinnier belt that drives the power steering pump, you would also have to find a pulley that matches it to go on the supercharger.

·
Spd Kills your bank acc.
1,151 Posts
Knight Turbo?

SuperC,
When i talked to Knight turbo they told me they only had s/c kit with an Eaton S/C. which is roots not centrifugal. What other S/C's do they offer as a Centrifugal

-Joe

·
Registered
254 Posts
I really don't know too much about superchargers, but the diagram is simple, just a blower. I think that it can be possible to make one out of the stock air conditioner (with some extra parts), ,buy some old s/c like tajman said and take it apart.
I am really wondering why do they cost so much? I guess i have to read more of Adam Smith.

Please pardon my stupidity, I am just extremely bored and many dumb ideas fly though my brain.

BTW, the power blower is a good idea! I am thinking it could be worth a try. what is the standard power like 2hp? And that is about 1400watts!!! more than enough to supercharge a freaking v12

Just thinking

·
-
6,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kkinchev said:
I really don't know too much about superchargers, but the diagram is simple, just a blower. I think that it can be possible to make one out of the stock air conditioner (with some extra parts), ,buy some old s/c like tajman said and take it apart.
I am really wondering why do they cost so much? I guess i have to read more of Adam Smith.

Please pardon my stupidity, I am just extremely bored and many dumb ideas fly though my brain.

BTW, the power blower is a good idea! I am thinking it could be worth a try. what is the standard power like 2hp? And that is about 1400watts!!! more than enough to supercharge a freaking v12

Just thinking
Make one out of the air conditioner?!?! You'll have to explain that one to us.

A supercharger is made of precision machined components. If the tolerances were slightly off then it would lose tons of boost. Thats why they cost a lot.

If your talking about the leaf blower to the intake thing, its not going to help a lot. Yes its been done many times. No its not enough to produce the kind of pressure that a supercharger does even on a 4 cylinder, let alone a 12 cylinder. :rolleyes: It takes about 30hp to spin that supercharger at full boost. That 2hp leaf blower isn't going to do it.

·
I'm HISPANIC dammit!
1,783 Posts
Eaton?

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the only type he offered for the 3s was a centrifugal, mainly because that's what ALL of us supercharged 3s's are running. Wierd. Anyways, the pics have been posted before on the forums. So a search as I'm not hosting them anywhere right now and I'd rather not eat up the sites bandwith. Pm me if you'd like me to send you a zip file of all the parts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
From what I understand he's had so much trouble making his centrifugal reliable he just wrote it off and only offers and Eaton roots kit now.

That's probably the real reason he had that sale a while back on the centrifugal kit, so he could dump all his stock.

I would rather have an roots kit myself, from what I read they have a much flatter boost curve.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just now am starting to understand how a s/c works. for the most part i didn't know how they got power. Now i know they use the belts but how do you use an existing belt without messing with that part. Like the power steering pump how would you use that pulley w/out taking the belt away from it. Does any one under stand what Im asking? pics would help ALOT!

·
-
6,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Whoa this is an old post you guys revived but I might as well say a few things now.

I actually got to visit Knight Turbos and see some of their stuff in person (I was dropping off slayer4all's car there to be fixed). He had all kinds of engies/turbos/superchargers laying around. He had a lot of V6 SOHC new Eclipse engines with eaton roots type blowers being fitted to them. It seemed to me he liked the roots blowers more as well. (Slayer's broken car had a centrifugal supercharger kit on it.)

I've decided on my car where to put my supercharger. I'm going to get rid of my AC compressor, relocate the alternator to the AC compressor spot, and put the supercharger where the alternator was. I'm also going to have to throw out the radiator and get a custom one built when everything else is in (it will basically be a stock shaped radiator with the corner cut out, probably thicker so its still cools good). Then I'm throwing out my pop-up headlights and cutting the bucket away to make room for the pulley. Its gonna be a tight fit and I'm getting rid of a bunch of stuff, but I've decided its the best place. And I'm detirmned to do this now so I just gotta do it. I've already got the supercharger, TT injectors and fuel pump, pocketlogger, etc... I'm slowly gathering the parts I'll need.

I recently found that the SOHC engines have the alternator located at the back bottom of the engine by the power steering pump. I need to know if its possible to use an SOHC alternator and brackets and put it down there on a DOHC engine. Will it fit? Is it possible? Its a much better option for me than getting rid of the AC and relocating the alternator down there.

Also, does anyone know of any 3/S's currently that have roots type blowers on them? No one on the board that I know of has one. I thought I would be the first but someone might have done it already.

·
Registered
687 Posts
You may want to find a SC Thunderbird for the radiator and intercooler, I do know that they were more compact in design and the side by side design is about as wide as our regular radiator. Try goin to sccoa sometime they may be able to help for cheap parts. Also go to www.toohighpsi.com I think thats the name of the site anyway. You may have to do a search for it. The guy has got two Eaton M90s on a V8. He may be able to give you some ideas. Is it possible to just take the top of a SC intake and weld it to the bottom of the Stealth intake to make it bolt up? It seems like there was a guy aroung here that was putting a SC on a 300ZX, his post was in the lounge-if I remember correctly you were in that thread as well. Do you think that he could help?

·
3,108 Posts
Re: Eaton?

Super C said:
Hmmm, I was under the impression that the only type he offered for the 3s was a centrifugal, mainly because that's what ALL of us supercharged 3s's are running. Wierd. Anyways, the pics have been posted before on the forums. So a search as I'm not hosting them anywhere right now and I'd rather not eat up the sites bandwith. Pm me if you'd like me to send you a zip file of all the parts.
I could host them for you Super C

AIM: XxxxHOUDINIxxxX

·
-
6,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kev70 said:
Is it possible to just take the top of a SC intake and weld it to the bottom of the Stealth intake to make it bolt up? It seems like there was a guy aroung here that was putting a SC on a 300ZX, his post was in the lounge-if I remember correctly you were in that thread as well. Do you think that he could help?
Yeah I remember the thread. I'm not building a custom intake manifold for the supercharger to mount to on this project. Even if I did, it would be hard to get it in a place where belts can drive it and also have it fit under the stock hood. I'm still planning on what I decided before.

Oh and thanks for the tip on the T-bird SC radiator, I'll look into that. I'll search the junk yard and try to find radiators that could work and I could buy cheap instead of getting a custom one made.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts